SL: Series 'D' Enclosures Black Prince Seat Height

tom wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi I shall soon become a new owner of a Black Prince .... cannot wait. I only have a 29" inside leg and I would love to lower the seat height, I would have thought some Vincent owner out there has reduced the seat height .... I cannot be the only short legged owner! What would/will be the best way to lower it without affecting the handling ... shorter spring, softer spring, multi tension spring or can the spring mounting points be lowered etc. Does someone out there has the answer? No I do not want to wear platform boots or carry ladders etc.

vibrac

VOC Member
A starting point might be the AVO replacement for the rear coil over unfortunately its not something I know a lot about except if the standard D AVO is not enough AVO will modify (Northampton) but I am sure someone more knowledgeable on AVO's will pop up here soon.
Personally I rebuilt a naked D from a actual wicker basket and I could not get on with the height and it was soon gone.

tom wilson

VOC Member
A starting point might be the AVO replacement for the rear coil over unfortunately its not something I know a lot about except if the standard D AVO is not enough AVO will modify (Northampton) but I am sure someone more knowledgeable on AVO's will pop up here soon.
Personally I rebuilt a naked D from a actual wicker basket and I could not get on with the height and it was soon gone.
Hi Vi thanks for the comment, I am afraid it may be too high that's why I am asking the question, usually some one on here has a fix for most things or over come an issue ..... fingers crossed.
I have left a message on the AVO web site (great idea) thanks again

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
I have exactly the same inside leg measurement and do not find it a problem. Try it first before you start modifying and then only do the mod if you find it a problem. The special AVO is there if you need it. Remember there is up to seven inches of rear wheel movement on a 'D' so weight or a pillion passenger on the rear can make a big difference.

tom wilson

VOC Member
I have exactly the same inside leg measurement and do not find it a problem. Try it first before you start modifying and then only do the mod if you find it a problem. The special AVO is there if you need it. Remember there is up to seven inches of rear wheel movement on a 'D' so weight or a pillion passenger on the rear can make a big difference.
Hi TT many thanks, I will try as soon as it lands I did try a naked D some many years ago and it did seem high as I recall. A lot of D owners seem to have/had the same problem I am trying to pre-empt and be prepared so I can get some use out of it before the Winter weather arrives.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
By coincidence, I have just ordered the short version of the AVO damper and expect it to arrive this coming Wednesday. I've been living with my open D's seat height for years but finally decided it needs to be fixed. Two weeks ago, I dropped the bike in a parking lot and wound up with an AC shoulder separation. It's healing well, not very serious but I don't want to go through that again. The reason for the fall was that as I was making a tight turn out of a parking space and some *******bloke jumped out in front of me to park his car. My right foot didn't reach the ground soon enough.

My inseam is more like 28" so I need to make this correction. I'll be mounting the AVO this coming week and will post my observations.
Gary

P.S. The bike didn't sustain any damage, thanks to it's homemade crash bar.

Last edited:

kerry

VOC Member
Hello, I have 29" Legs and can sit on my Prince or open D with both feet flat on the ground !
I have fitted Avo on both, the following is the part numbers from AVO

1 off PC1590 D coil over damper
1 off A9300 1.9" Coil Spring

Total cost £264. Gives a really nice ride, if you are though taking pillion passengers or are heavy you may consider a different spring.

Personally I think a D gives a better ride than a C series but I am not sure of the best damper for the front on a D, I have fitted AVO here but feel they do not perform brilliantly like the rear, just my own view.

Kerry.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
One of the problems I had with having short legs was the footrests were just where I needed my legs to go, So I have made longer F52s, moving the footrests down a little and forward.

kerry

VOC Member
Sounds interesting, with the lower avo it makes moving the bike about easier too as does slightly wider bars which on a prince will require the wider muffs as well, some thing I forgot to mention, THE CENTRE STAND IS BEST LOWERED too once an avo is fitted
Kerry.

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you fit a JE steering stem with the softer springs that will soften up the front end. If you still have the original long 'D' springs on the front they will be too stiff with the AVO. One thing that we older chaps use to do with a 'D' was to either sit on the bike or stand at the side and push up and down on the saddle where one sits. The front and rear of the bike just used to go up and down by the same amount. It used to be a remarkable demonstration of the comfort of the 'D's and also a test as to whether one had adjusted the clearances on the girdraulics correctly.