Misc: Everything Else Birmabright Welding

998charlie

Forum User
VOC Member
I've a Series D open Shadow which has developed a split in the rear Birmabright mudguard. Does anyone know of a good welder (West Midlands preferably) who could repair it.
Thx Charlie

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
it needs NG6 alloy welding rod.
I hadn't seen the term NG6 before but I see it's a MIG wire that has the same composition as the 5356 TIG filler I have for Birmabright. Most of the hits for NG6 seem to be in the UK, whereas most U.S. hits that have the term have it in a footnote to 5356 listings so it doesn't seem to be in common use on this side of the Atlantic. Not that the OP is on this side of the Atlantic...

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I've heard of people taking a bit of a knackered fender and using it as welding rod. Remember there is a little magnesium in there.
Some people probably used a slice of beer can as a welding rod and managed to get it to sort of hold the Birmabright together, but that doesn't make it right. The welding process typically alters the base metal and the composition of the filler rod is designed to compensate for that effect to result in the strongest weld possible. Specifically, the most common "Birmabright" alloy had ~2% Mg whereas the 5356 filler recommended for welding it has ~5%.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I've a Series D open Shadow which has developed a split in the rear Birmabright mudguard. Does anyone know of a good welder (West Midlands preferably) who could repair it.
Thx Charlie
and after thats done, i always glue a patch (old birmabright) with araldite behind it to avoid further cracks.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Here`s a before and after.
Guard1.JPG
Guard1.JPG
Guard2.JPG