Birmabright Mudguard drilling pattern

neil2498

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi all.

I'm in the process of resurrecting an early (mid '49) series C Shadow and have been collecting parts for some considerable while, this in an effort to undue some of the earlier 'work' that had been inflicted by previous owners. I've acquired a decent rear 'guard and a couple of fronts all of which appear to be factory originals. The quandary is the drilling pattern on the fronts, the 'guards appear to be spot on in terms of length, the front and rear mudguard stays have their holes drilled in exactly the same location, however the position of the holes for FF68 are not in the same place. It has been suggested that one of the guards may be for a 'B' and the other for a 'C', can anyone shed any light on this please ?

Thank you in advance.

Neil

ossie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
maybe different if you have bramtons or girdraulics .
on some I have seen the lugs on the lower stays go up others go down
OSSIE.

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
maybe different if you have bramtons or girdraulics .
on some I have seen the lugs on the lower stays go up others go down
OSSIE.

I didn't think the mudguard stays were made on a jig and so they are all slightly different and the mudguards were drilled to fit the stays. One reason for fitting the lower stay with lugs upper most is to gain a little more clearance between the stay and the magneto cowl on full fork extension when it is dangerously close.

Last edited: