Binding clutch actuation on a C twin

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Eric, I know you have probably checked this as you said you had disconnected the clutch cable at both, but I had a similar "grinding feel". It turned out that when the cable was free of the actuating arm, the roller at the end of the cable that slips into the arm was at about 90 degrees to its resting position in the arm. So the cable had a twist in it when under tension and this was the culprit... I ended up getting a new cable and viola! As I said, you have probably checked this already. Best of luck. Rob
Rob I did check the cable but you never know the cable is 40 years old I have a new one it is easy to change so I'll have a go at changing it out before all the disassembly...Easy stuff first..

Cheers and THANKS!

Eric

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Hi Eric
Made up a new cable and fitted it today, smooth now, cut up the old cable and can,t a thing wrong with it?? oh well it's ok now.
Chris Launders.

Ducdude

VOC Member
And the answer is......

The old cable was binding...It was free and clear without tension but if under tension it had resistance..Go figure...It was coming unraveled under the sheathing.. All replaced with my spare, and we are back on the road. Now I need a new back up clutch/compression cable and all is grand with the world!

BTW Who is riding that sweet looking red Rapide on this months cover of MPH?? Bev is that you???? Looking good ma man... !

Thanks all for your help!

Eric

b'knighted

VOC Member
Glad to hear that the clutch design is vindicated. You shouldn't need the spare cable in the next few days.

Check the bottom of the contents page (page 3?) for details of cover photo.

Ducdude

VOC Member
Glad to hear that the clutch design is vindicated. You shouldn't need the spare cable in the next few days.

Check the bottom of the contents page (page 3?) for details of cover photo.
Thanks Ian I am running the stock clutch and it is working just FINE now! Thanks again, Eric

Last edited:

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
All Vincent twins deserve a Vincent clutch - pity I can't fit one easily to the A !! The Honda clutch works OK but it is SO heavy !!

Ducdude

VOC Member
All Vincent twins deserve a Vincent clutch - pity I can't fit one easily to the A !! The Honda clutch works OK but it is SO heavy !!

I completely agree. My bike was blessed with a stock clutch that just always worked, (even when I built it up). It was helped along even further by later being set up by some one who knew what they were doing, (Thanks Glenn) when the motor was rebuilt. I love the unusual design and that it just works so darn well.. Ciao, Eric