Bill Norton's Long Walk

billnw

Forum User
VOC Member
At 7:55 am Bill Norton started his walk From John O Groats to Lands End. Charlie Norton and myself Bill Weissman folowing and leap frogging in the support vehicle. The day started out clear and cool, turning to overcast and light rain before the day was done. Bill complted 30 miles down the A99 with no trouble by 4pm ending up in Lybster. After collecting Bill N we traveled back to Murkle where we are staying with Willie and Linda Williams. Linda and Willie have been splended hosts and Bill is off to a great start. Only 830 more miles to go. :)

All for Tonight Bill Weissman.

Rodders

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Bill,

Glad to hear that it's started well, there are a lot of people rooting for The Cometeer, hoping that he makes it OK. I guess you made it safely to Glasgow, and that the Rail journey wasn't to bad. Give our best wishes to Bill and Charlie and tell them we'll see them at the Severn Rally. :)

Rod and Val Farr

billnw

Forum User
VOC Member
Day two completed and found our way to the Inn at Brora. Some 60 miles down and a fair amount of hills. Weather has been with us, cool but clear and sunny. Bill was rather tired by the end of the day but over all has pulled through rather well. After he rests we will have a light dinner and he will be off to sleep. I think I shall stay here at the Pub and sample some of the single malt scotches available.
Cheers,
Bill Weissman

G

Graham Smith

NB - This thread is now on the 'Public' part of the forum so Bill's non-Member friends can see his progress.

billnw

Forum User
VOC Member
Bill Norton has completed days 3 and 4. I beleive he is over the hump and falling into a rythem. We have made it o Inverness so right on 120 miles since starting. Bill's biggest problems have been learning how to dress so as to remain warm but not overheat. He regularly changes amounts of layers as the day progresses sheding cloths as the day draws on and adding layers again later in the afternoon.
On day three Bill was very exhausted by the evening but today was showing very little ware. The next two days will be 60 miles along Loch Ness ending in Fort William. I have sent word to the Monster who inhabits the lake and she is looking forward to a photo op with Bill.

Cheers,
Bill Weissman

billnw

Forum User
VOC Member
Days 5 thru 7.
Bill Norton has walked from Inverness to Glencoe durring this time. He has only had one day of rain but that has not dampened his spirit. He has picked up a rythem walking 6 miles at a time a short break then moving on. Lunch is taken around 1:30 and then onward till about 6:30. Bill says hello to everyone.

I am due to fligh home on Wednesday 4/21 but may be cooling my heals in London till this little cloud from the volcano passes by.

Cheers,
Bill Weissman

Tim Kirker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just checked with Bill & Charlie. They have met up with VOC Members Glenn & May Cuthbertson at Inverarnan after 270+ miles. Bill's in good spirits but has strained a muscle today. (They gave me the technical term but it meant nothing to me). Being old and wise, now, he elected not to risk further damage and did the last dozen or so miles by push bike. He's confident things will get back to normal but he'll continue by bike - under his own power - for a day or two.

Tim Kirker

G

Graham Smith

http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/p...hesket&cat=781

The above photo shows Bill setting off from the home of VOC Member Donald Foxley in Low Hesket south of Carlisle. Since our last update Bill and Charlie have been looked after by Glenn & May Cuthbertson, who met them two stops north of Glasgow and guided Bill all the way through Glasgow, avoiding major roads and junctions. Then Colin & Anne Dunbar took over for a couple of days. Meanwhile, Phil & Barbara Robinson have travelled north to meet them at Lockerbie and will travel with them for the next week or so. Tonight they are in Kendal. Bill's earlier problem with a strained muscle has cleared up but he did take the soft option today and cycled five miles over Shap Summit. So, he's completed around 420 miles under his own power, over 400 on foot. Only another 500 or so to go . . .