Bill Norton Cooper at Summit Point West Virginia

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I went to see Bill run last weekend in the Cooper. Here are some shots of the engine and the starter:

David

vibrac

VOC Member
looks like a newby clutch and pully putting a cog on the back would not be a difficult job finding a suitable cog and a matching starter is a bit more problematic

davidd

VOC Member
Details about the starter, clutch, and primary drive please.
Steven

Yes. It is a Newby primary drive. The sharp piece of metal is for timing.

The starter and ring gear is from a tractor supply business near Bill. I will ask him the next time we speak.

The ring gear takes up all the space behind the clutch, so you cant run a 1/4" plate like I have on the racer as an inner primary, but you could run an abbreviated one just to mount the starter motor by cutting out or keeping away from the clutch.

I am not sure why Bill did the breather that way, but the square seems to be there to span the crank case split. I would have run it out the generator hole. It is nice to start with a large tube to keep the velocity low enough to have the oil drain back into the case.

David

davidd

VOC Member
Steven,

I did ask Bill. He was pressed for time because he was off to another race this weekend. The ring gear is Harley Sportster. The starter is from a Bobcat.

David