Bike Magazine Aug 09

John Smith-Daye

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Make sure that you rush down to the newsagents, or order your copy early - the August edition includes a nice little article comparing a modern KTM with Len Matthews' Black Shadow, VVX 2. A little bit of journalistic licence takes place, but the pictures are great and its another issue well worth getting hold of for your archives. I'm sure that Len will autograph copies for a small (or even large) fee.............

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Make sure that you rush down to the newsagents, or order your copy early - the August edition includes a nice little article comparing a modern KTM with Len Matthews' Black Shadow, VVX 2. A little bit of journalistic licence takes place, but the pictures are great and its another issue well worth getting hold of for your archives. I'm sure that Len will autograph copies for a small (or even large) fee.............

I didn't know what to expect when Bike magazine wanted to borrow a Shadow for an article but I had a good day at Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire. It's a remarkable place with tight security as hush-hush prototypes are tested there. Only official photography is permitted. After I arrived on the bike the journalists turned up in a fleet of vans which contained about fifteen high performance machines, all of which were much newer than mine. The journalists were much newer than me too! After loads of static photos were taken came the moment when their road test editor Mike Armitage took to the track on my bike. Naturally, a pre-flight briefing was needed. "Don't go searching for gears five and six 'cos there aren't any and don't look for the starter button 'cos there isn't one. Don't forget gear and brake pedals are opposite sides etc,etc."
It appeared that Mike soon got the hang of things and completed about ten laps of the circuit, returned to base and declared himself to be impressed.
As John says, you'll need to buy a copy of Bike to read their opinion.