BIke Has Arrived

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well done, Steve. Looks like a good practical bike. The only things I'd change immediately are the high tension lead's path and the speedo. cable. Get someone from a local Section to run their eye and ear over it and USE IT! Numerous small corrections needed if it wants to be carted around on a F*&^%$#! trailer.

Rob H

VOC Member
If that is the alloy bezel, which to me is preferable, I think it is for a 1949 model. At least that is what Taff the horn told me many years ago when he supplied me with one. If I am correct you could always replace the bezel with a new, or old, chrome one, if you want 100% originality.

Looks like a post 51 model from the info I got from taff some time ago
ALTETTES Period.jpg

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just had a look at the photos Steve and there is one thing you will have to watch out for. Someone has put what appears to be a front mudguard stay on to the rear chain guard where it might hit the underside of the rear of the saddle. Watch out for that and if necessary change the single looped stay to two shorter stays (possibly FT22/4). The purist will know better than I exactly which part number is required.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Looks like a post 51 model from the info I got from taff some time agoView attachment 21317
Thanks for this. It looks like the alloy bezel is OK for 49 to 53, so presumably Taff supplied me with the correct horn for my bike. I was wrong to assume the alloy bezel was only for 1949. The alloy version must have been a good manufacturing option in the year when chrome was in short supply.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Just had a look at the photos Steve and there is one thing you will have to watch out for. Someone has put what appears to be a front mudguard stay on to the rear chain guard where it might hit the underside of the rear of the saddle. Watch out for that and if necessary change the single looped stay to two shorter stays (possibly FT22/4). The purist will know better than I exactly which part number is required.
FT22/4 stays, two required, I saw it, but sorry I failed to notice the clearance problem!