Big end rebuilds

litnman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm rebuilding a stroker crank with a new big Alpha pin set. The photo shows the old pin along with the new.
The old pin rod bearing is steel caged and rollers are 1/8 x 5/8 (21 rollers).
Can anyone tell me something about it.. Alpha said it wasn't theirs.
IMG_0041.JPG

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Looks like an INR to me. I think they are OK. Dave Hollis sold me the ones I bought.
It's been 30 years since I did one so. ..... as Irene often says; I'm not responsible.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes it's an INR needle roller type big end. The same or similar to what Maughans use in there crank rebuilds unless something's changed recently. So it's certainly OK for them. There was a shortage a few years ago and so a second manufacturer was found, but I believe that is no longer a problem.

No connection to Maughams apart from a crank rebuilt by them which runs great.

litnman

VOC Member
This one thrust to one side and grooved E16 pretty deep. It may have been caused by the split outer race moving outward.

davidd

VOC Member
I have Maughan supply my big ends, as did Carleton, for the racer. Prior to using Maughan, we both used Alpha, but the side thrust was too much. Maughan supplied INA with silver plated cages and the side thrust issues went away. Then there was a problem getting the correct size from INA and Maughn switched to another supplier. I do not know whom they now use. But, the big end from Maughan's new supplier has been running in the racer for years.

Carleton and I stopped using the stock E16's and switched to phosphor bronze. If the hardened stock E16 experiences side thrust for any amount of time it can break through the hardening and turn up a little curl. If this happens the E16 joins the spinning parts and creates tremendous heat which can boil out the oil.

David