Big Bore comets

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Big bore Comet

Hello,
Due to no one else responding I will put in my small observations.
Mark Goodson's 630 or so Comet is a joy to ride, this from a man who is not enamored of Comets. It goes not a lot worse than my Rapide.
The engine done by Bob Dun, is bored and stroked 90mm by 100mm I think.
Bob tells me that it is the longer stroke that makes them go.
John.

Last edited:

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Vinparts 90mm Bore Kit

In the absence of a reply from Russ, here is what I had to do.

1/ Bore the throat of the crankcases to take the larger liner
2/ Machine the top of the piston to get the req'd CR (8:1)
3/ Machine the rebate in the head for the top of the liner.

Actually apart from the c/case machining everything else was done for me by John Coates.

Also to make best use of the bigger bore I run a 34mm Mikuni, and a Gary Robinson 105 cam.

The bike will pull 70 easily even with me on it!!:D:D

Neil

Mickthevin

Non-VOC Member
Big Bore Comet

I Too Have A Bored And Stroked Comet Converted By Bob Dunn.
If You Cant Afford A Twin This Is Definetley The Way To Go. The Main Difference Is The Installation Of An Amc/norton Gear Box As Bob Said The Burman Gear Box Can Be A Little Too Femmer For The Job. You Would Be Better Off Speaking To Bob About The Technicalities As These Are Way Beyond The Likes Of Me
Mick

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
90mm Kit.

Have been busy catching up from 5 days off due to going to the Dutch.
Neil has just about got it right. The only bit that he left off is that you need to machine a squish band on the piston and in the head.
In my view Bob Dunn is the man to do the job and I am just sorting out a crankcase, head & 11mm shorter rod for him to build the big engine that is going into the Vinparts trike:D

Russ

nkt267

VOC Member
Many thanks for the replies.I think I will try to find a spare engine before i do this mod as I would like to keep a standard engine as well..John