Bids for the 'new' Black Shadow

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
10 Percent. is that all?

I know from experience ( I built a new twin engine from scratch) that there is plenty more than 10% discount available if you shop around.

In fact if you wave a long enough list of part numbers under Mr Vinparts nose you can get a good deal. And if he is not feeling generous enough you can tell his mum:mad:

Pete

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Interestingly I have just returned to Vincents after a 30 year break, what has delighted and surprised me is the number of people supplying parts, the range and quality available - and all for a pretty (until now) finite number of machines made a long time ago. It has been great - for someone like me not blessed with the outstanding hands on engineering (and lathe!) skills of his father - I need to buy the bits I need rather than make them myself.

I'd like to propose that we celebrate the fact that this is all available and thriving in the year 2007, and if I have to pay the odd % extra for the fact that these people should be able to make a living or support their own hobby addiction, and most all of them have been freely helpful to me in giving advice, guiding my thoughts in what to do then I for one vote not to nail them on price. Vincent Motorcycles are not, in my view, a commodity - there is a lot more to them than that. Unless we support these people (and price is but one way to do that), then the desire to produce new and better parts just will not exist - where would we be then? I for one would be off the road.

I recognise that I'm fortunate still to be working, and am mostly able to afford to buy the bits I need, not everyone is in the same position and so there may be other ways for the Club to consider helping to keep those bikes on the road. For me, to be able to get the bits I order in 24 hours is, in my book, a good deal and the prices have all seemed reasonable to me bearing in mind the true cost of production and shelf stocking.

I've just replaced the starter clutch on an 18 year old CBR1000 Honda - now there's where 10% would have come in handy.

Stuart