Bids for the 'new' Black Shadow

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
I understand that the bids have started to come in for `The Ultimate Spare', so how about a sweepstake to guess the winning bid. No prizes and, of course, all those who are bidding seriously will have to be excluded as `insiders'.

My guess would be £53000.

Ray

Rapide998

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Personaly I really don't care what it sells for,:p but I would hazard a guess at around £72,059.56p. :eek:I hope it doesn't end up in some collection and is used as it should be.:D
But Who ever wins the bid I do hope they enjoy it as much as I enjoy my Vincent :cool:

Last edited:

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Views - collect, ride or speculate.......

Surely the club is big enough to accommodate people with different views and objectives. If someone wants to ride it, that's fine with me - if they want to polish it and look at it, that's also fine. If they want to speculate on it as an investment then whilst that's not my motivation, who am I to stop them so long as they are operating honestly and with integrity (unlike, it would appear on what is known to date, the man who bought Roy's White Shadow). Some collectors aren't lucky enough to be able to ride any more, despite the fact they would like to.

I've only had my Vincent back for a few weeks after a 30 year break and I love it to bits, I love riding it, but I also like to have it sat in the garage where I can admire it. I'm also very fortunate in being able to own more than one bike, so it won't get used as often as it might.

But surely the club is big enough for almost all of us to rub along together...........

It surely will go for a lot, there's only one like it, there will only ever be one "first one" and there are a goodly number of people out there who are in the very fortunate position of not having to worry too much about what they spend. What's something worth - well it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and I guess someone will be willing to pay quite a lot to have it, whether they ride it or polish it.

The best news is that, whatever it sells for, the money goes back into the club and the spares company and that helps preserve any and all Vincents, regardless of whether they are in a pampered, dehumidified collection or run ragged on the road.

OK - so the publicity, the magazine front covers, the articles and the laws of supply and demand impacted as a result of all that will likely mean that the prices of any/all Vincents is likely to continue to rise -that's a fact of life and we're not going to change it.

What we should do, I think, is publish the name of the man who bought Roy's White Shadow and doubled his money - then allow him the right of reply for him to put his side of the story and for people to make their own minds up. If what actually happened is anything like the way Roy tells (and right now I have no reason to believe not), then I for one would rather not be in the company of someone who behaves like that.

Honesty and integrity are the things which underpin my thoughts about who I'd choose to spend my time with, not whether they have £1 or £1000 in their wallet and certainly not whether or not they choose to ride the bikes they collect.

Stuart

Rapide998

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Stuart.
Made a few changes to my thread about the bid for the black shadow in case it was taken the wrong way, as it wasn't meant the way it did appear .:eek::D

Read your bit about getting your dads bike back from OZ, it was great stuff, I know exactly how you feel riding your vincent as I also ride my Dads Rapide, I've taken it over many of the roads he once rode when I was a young boy sitting in the sidecar,
it lay in his loft for 30 odd years and after spending pretty much 2 years rebuilding it, the day I started it up was quite an emotional moment for us both with the Rapide sitting there barking after such a long time silent. So the Vincent is very much a part of our family.
My Father is still very much a Vincent man and a member of the Voc although ill health doesn't allow him to ride anymore but he still gets great pleasure in listening to his bike and looking at it, I will usually bring him over to my place to "help me" when I'm working on the Vin, of course he usually ends up "keeping me right" as usual :rolleyes:
perhaps meet you some day at one of the rallys.
take care
Regards
Ken.

Last edited:

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Thanks Kenny

Hi Ken,

No problems on the thread, hope my reply did not "sting" but it has struck me that there are a lot of politics in the VOC having been a member this time around for just 6 months but having read a years worth of MPH.

I'm a member of the Harley Owners, Ducati Owners and my Honda Owners has lapsed - but I don't see the issues in any of those that I see here.

I just reckon there has got to be a live and let live attitude, except for people who are dishonest or lacking in integrity - and poor Roy seemed to have been given a rough deal to me.

Nice to hear your story too, when I first started mine I had my Dad on the other end of a speaker telephone, he loved it.

The bike still has the front brake stay plate that Dad and I made by hand when I was 14 or so, and the bolts for it were turned on his Myford ML7 lathe (if you know someone in Scotland who wants one, let me know). The tooltray is one that he handmade by folding a cut sheet of aluminium and then poprivetted and filed down the corners - I smiled when I saw it again after 30 years.

I'm starting to learn the spanners again!! Terry Prince in Australia rebuilt the engine for the bike and is holding my hand a little - it needs the heads re-torquing down now so I'm just going through the process of how to do that and sorting out tools.

Hopefully see you at a rally. Festival of 1000 Bikes at Mallory in July?

Cheers

Stuart

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
The desire of some owners to treat their Vincents as works of art for visual appreciation only is fully understandable , it is IMHO , very definitely a work of art as well as one the all time great motorcycles. The person who pays the money has the priviledge to do with their possesion as they wish & thats more than fine by me. Personally , I only ride in the summer when its dry mainly because I hate cleaning motorcycles and also because I prefer them to be in pristine condition. Equally , I enjoy sitting down with a beer and basking in the almost sensual pleasure of the sight of a Vincents intracacies in their immaculate glory !! Oh ,and I reckon in excess of £50k for the new Shadow.

dave g6xnc

Non-VOC Member
Shadow

I would not be supprised if it went for a lot less, remember the comet raffled afew years ago?, it went for £3000. odd. If i'd known that was the price Iwould have bid!. The first twi n I had in 1967 seemed so big, now got an 1150 GS and the vin now seems like a toy!, and all the critics of the sixties said "oh Vincents much too heavy"! but at least you can pick them up with ease.
Dave gs.

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Comet Raffle

Dave
Just a comment on the Comet raffles since you mentioned it, as I organised them.
There were two raffles, the first Comet was won by a South London member, for a £1, the price of a ticket!
For the second raffle the winner turned down the Comet and took the cash 'alternative' so the Comet was sold off at the going rate of the day, I can't remember but you maybe right at £3000.

Before anyone asks, raffling the BS was considered by the Exec. but due to gaming licence rules it would not be viable, there are limits on value of prizes and cost of tickets which directly affect the cost of the licence. That's one of the reasons, I believe, why the VMCC only raffle ‘ordinary’ bikes, no Broughs or Manxs'.
Ian

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
Going back to the thread origin- The point is, this bike is 100% original. Original parts & original, immaculate paintwork & chrome. There can't be many Vincents that can claim that.
Plus, who knows, in twenty years time this may have been the first of many.

On a completely different track, this block `black shadow', has he tried shaving twice a day to cure the problem?

Ray

Debbie Kemp

VOC Member
The sign of things to come?

Ray Vinmad is right, it seems it IS the start of things to come judging by Glyn Johnson’s advert in this month’s MPH. Is that such a good thing though? Yes, it means that obtaining a Vincent becomes that little bit easier (if you don’t mind re-mortgaging your home or cashing in your pension to pay for it) but what affect will new, future Vincents have on what I dare to call “proper” Vincents? Will the value of our bikes suddenly soar in line with what it would cost to buy a new one or will they be worth less because they are older? If a price is placed on replacing a complete Vincent then what affect will that have on our insurance premiums?

I think it is great that the Club and the VOCSC have teamed up to prove that it is possible and it makes a great PR exercise for both but now that it seems it is no longer a “one off”, how will the Club be affected financially in terms of the current sealed bids for the Black Shadow? Surely it is now less likely that a high price will be fetched for the Black Shadow now that everyone knows they can buy exactly the same, built by the same guy, with a warranty (which the Club Black Shadow does not have) for a fixed price. Having said that, now we know it is possible, what is to stop us all buying the parts and building our own? There could suddenly be an influx of “new” Vincents over the next few years. I have always thought that the only “kit” Vincent I could get was the one that came in a little cardboard box and was made by Matchbox – now it seems we can all own the lifesize version.

I would be interested to know exactly what it would cost to buy every part needed to build a Black Shadow in order to see if it is better to build my own or pay the added labour charges to get Glyn to build it for me. Surely one can assume that buying that many spares would warrant a much better discount than the standard 10% to members – then again, the well known traders only seem to get the same as members so maybe not, in which case I guess I had better start adding up everything on the VOCSC price list…

Lastly, what affect will the “new” Vincents have on the current Concours system? If the Club Black Shadow and other new Vincents start turning up at rallies and entering the Concours line-up, will they compete against original bikes or will a new class be started to accommodate them? Maybe they would have to go into the “specials” class? It looks like the future could be VERY interesting – and very complicated for Concours judges!