BHR Race Regulations

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Eddie the whole BHR infrastructure is creaking
My grandson is going to start racing in the 6-9 year old mini bike series held on Go-cart tracks next season he has his leathers and has already done some practice sessions Ben says the organisation is superb at the meetings with TV live to web interviews with 'stars' and big crowds its also all run by volunteers so what's the problem?
My guess its basically the hideous charges for use of race circuits. We get free tennis courses swimming pools and running tracks hey ho a one sided world
As for the regs he says it may well be from a link on the forum (yes they have one! again if you can find it) It wouldn't surprise me if they have 'accidentally' moved them.
And their AGM is the 18th of November (Saturday) not the 17th as I said above.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Tim,

Having just read your Racing survey in MPH have you thought of, or tried, entering Ben's Comet in the Girder Fork class as the class currently stands?

The scrutineers do not appear to do eligibility checks and are only concerned, I assume, with safety.

At the last, and first for this year, BHR meeting at Mallory Park, I was still plagued with wobbles on my recalcitrant Rudge and whilst, in one race only, I posted a slightly faster lap than I achieved last year I am very disappointed to be a long way off the pace of the leaders.

With everything going on I did not get time to study every girder fork bike, but what I can say is I saw that at least three had hydraulic suspension damping (I guess as many as five had hydraulic damping) and these were front runners (well one would of been had the rider not broken his pelvis after crashing a Manx in an earlier race).

I chatted with one rider of a Rudge, that had a Hagon hydraulic suspension damper, and in a tongue in cheek way I said "I suppose you will not get championship points with an illegal damper". He seemed a little miffed and said it offered very little damping" (well whilst it is not a good design in terms of fitment, I doubted his claim). Later on he commented on my Facebook post that I had a very nice 1930's steering damper. OK I have a hydraulic steering damper, but I cannot see they are breaking the rules.

As things currently stand, I cannot have a dream of chasing a championship, so I am currently considering joining the band of cheaters. If it makes my bike safer and more rideable I would be a fool not to.

At the Esses the rear wheel of my bike jumped left, whilst I was bucked up and out of the saddle to the right. The bike felt like it was on a trajectory to go off track, but I had the inside of my left knee hooked against the saddle and managed to get back on board. Thankfully the bike was also now back under control. Now the antics of my bike had nothing to do with the tyres sliding. It was, I think, the rear wheel just trying to obey the wobbling front wheel.

In another race I had been following a 350 Velocette MAC and it was wobbling so badly around Gerrards, making it look like, to me, the rear wheel was jumping from side to side. Whilst I was having my own similar problems, I was more worried he was going to crash right in front of me, so I made a very concerted effort to pass him and no sooner than I did the wobbles on my bike got even worse. I was convinced he would get back past, but guess he thought it safer to not get too close to me !!!

Another rider of a wobbling 350 Velocette MAC blew up his engine and then spectated at Gerrards. He came and found me afterwards to say mine was the worse handling bike round there. Just what I wanted to hear !

Stu Rogers also came and found me in the paddock to offer advice on the handing, so word was getting out there about the handling issues, for I had never spoken to him before.

I have since, found issues that will not of helped the handling on the day and they will be sorted, but I think improved suspension damping will prevent the pogo sticking which I think might be initiating the wobbles.

32294486_1724602957606329_8901102717737369600_n.jpg

Attachments

• CS3A8026-2.jpg
    CS3A8026-2.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 1

greg brillus

VOC Member
Its all about that massive "Prize Money" you get for a win isn't it..........?..........I laugh at the illegibility scrutineers who like to pick defects or inaccuracies with race bikes, only when you look at their own race bikes, they are the worst offenders. Just leave the front shock absorber off the racer and go racing..........What are they going to say.............

vibrac

VOC Member
Update
Following the Girdraulic ban I stripped the Comet racer, a month ago Ben 'borowed" my alpahbet twin and a pile of bits, he spent a few days on it and intends to have an "evaluation" race at the end of the month to see if a winter program of workshop would produce a result. Its entered in the girder class...;).
1568277318641.png
;)

vibrac

VOC Member
The whole idea is an evaluation exercise there is no time for any real testing , no test brake, no spare days so sensibly the engine is as I had it complete with monoblocks. In my experience there is only so much you can do 'out of the box' and go to a meeting and expect to enjoy it, so I think Ben has taken on enough. Its no slouch the last time I used it without speed limits was at Jurby and it went well. Ben is more interested in getting a feel for what is required, tourque or top speed. if he likes it he may well upgrade it for some rides next season its got a mono shock rear and Ben is trying his own idea on tyres based on the experience on the Egli. (he could well pinch my steering stem this winter as wello_O) My bet is it will go into the upto 62 class to cover BHR and Class 1 Clubman CRMCC but lets see what happens at Cadwell

greg brillus

VOC Member
Is it running a belt drive primary..........I don't like your chances of stopping in a hurry.........So Ben might be down shifting aggressively to help slow it down.

vibrac

VOC Member
Belt Primary is on the list if we go ahead next year. Brakes are what they are, (the last of my AM4!) our regs are more restrictive than AU especially on brakes