T: Fuel Tank Best sealant

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have used for Por-15 with good results. My preference is to descale the tank and then have it acid dipped. Then run the fuel tank clean and follow regular winter procedures.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I cannot really understand the need for fuel tank sealant, surely if you have a fuel tank leak you get it fixed, if you have rust or debris in the tank you clean it out as best you can and then put an inline fuel filter on the fuel pipe. I have never treated a Vincent tank with sealant in 55 years, I did once have a Tank weep fuel (long before ethanol) it must have had a poor weld around the steering column recess, once I had got rid of the fumes I had it welded and it never leaked again.
Peter you are quite right but there are situations where it's is not really practicable, one of mine that I used sealer in is a genuine Manx tank that had become porous on some of the welds, without cutting the entire tank open it would have been impossible, another is a Brough Superior tank which are soldered tin sheet, too far gone to be plated and again the only way to be able to use it other than completely dismember it, and probably have to make a copy, is a sealer.

vibrac

VOC Member
I seem to remember there was a thread on the forum as macvette said about an electrolitically based system for de rusting the tank. I need to have a clue to search by. The wonderful " electrolitically" gets me nowhere and "tank" does rather get a bit crowded:rolleyes:

vibrac

VOC Member
Well I tried it for a day and I have just taken it off. The inside is as black as if it was powder coated I cant belive the corrosion on the + anode(diode?) easy with an old battery charger and a battery in series hardest part is finding Soda crystals plenty of them about but all dressed up in fancy names and prices,drain unblocker, wonder cleaner etc etc and who knows what else they have with them . Amazingly I found the base product as cheap as chips where I never go Tesco!
Now to dry it out and get some Slosh coated inside

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Well I tried it for a day and I have just taken it off. The inside is as black as if it was powder coated I cant belive the corrosion on the + anode(diode?) easy with an old battery charger and a battery in series hardest part is finding Soda crystals plenty of them about but all dressed up in fancy names and prices,drain unblocker, wonder cleaner etc etc and who knows what else they have with them . Amazingly I found the base product as cheap as chips where I never go Tesco!
Now to dry it out and get some Slosh coated inside
You should be using bicarbonate of soda not soda crystals. Bicarbonate is baking soda.

vibrac

VOC Member
bicarb is an alternative here is the original source from the rusty tank thread link
"iron electrode, water and washing soda (Arm & Hammer, for example) and a battery charger. About a tablespoon of soda to a gallon of water. If you have trouble locating the washing soda, others have reported success with baking soda."
I used 3 table spoons in 3 odd gallons that the tank held all I know is its a smashing job and after rinsing in cold water the tank surface rust is converted as If I had powder coated it. its sitting in the sun now making sure its all dry before the lining

vibrac

VOC Member
It does look as if its a handy alternative (or indeed is) chemical blacking, I shall try it on a jam jar and some rusty bolts (God knows i am not short of those!)