T: Fuel Tank Best sealant

kettlrj

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can anyone recommend a fuel tank sealant that they have used and had good results with.
Regards Richard

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I used one somewhere around 15 years ago on two tanks that have been in use ever since and it has been perfect, I have tried several others since with several failures, the problem is the people who I got the original from are no longer trading but if you can find out where they got it from I would be eternally grateful, it was "Flexible tank sealant from Merlin Classic Motorcycles" and I believe was an aircraft spec sealant.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Richard,
Apart from the brand..
(Many will follow i presume)

Its ESSENTIAL to clean inside.
Better than asked for.
One spot with bad adhesion,
Will come loose in the end.

Causing the 1000% good material to fail.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I cannot really understand the need for fuel tank sealant, surely if you have a fuel tank leak you get it fixed, if you have rust or debris in the tank you clean it out as best you can and then put an inline fuel filter on the fuel pipe. I have never treated a Vincent tank with sealant in 55 years, I did once have a Tank weep fuel (long before ethanol) it must have had a poor weld around the steering column recess, once I had got rid of the fumes I had it welded and it never leaked again.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Can anyone recommend a fuel tank sealant that they have used and had good results with.
Regards Richard
I have used POR 15 sealant on all of my tanks two of which are are 1930s vintage and had no issues in aver 10 years.
None of my tanks had leaks so the sealant was only applied to prevent corrosion. I chose it because of work experience in the petroleum industry and because petrol in the US contained ethanol some years before Europe so unlike some other products here it has a proven record.
As Vincent Brake says, its essential to prepare the tanks scrupulously. This sealant kit ( as do others) comes with a surface etching solution which dissolves rust so if there are pinholes about to break through ie mainly sealed by rust, there is the potential for the tank the leak.
To avoid this, I perfer to first degrease the tank thoroughly and get rid of any rust electrolitically before using the sealant as directed.
Some years ago I posted pics of the method but if you Google it you will find good write ups of it. It is slow but has the advantage of converting rust to iron at a molecuar level so unlike an acid etch, does not remove material and reaches all parts of the tank. You would be surprised how much rust come off what looks like a relatively lightly corroded tank.

brian gains

VOC Member
I cannot really understand the need for fuel tank sealant, surely if you have a fuel tank leak you get it fixed, if you have rust or debris in the tank you clean it out as best you can and then put an inline fuel filter on the fuel pipe. I have never treated a Vincent tank with sealant in 55 years, I did once have a Tank weep fuel (long before ethanol) it must have had a poor weld around the steering column recess, once I had got rid of the fumes I had it welded and it never leaked again.

once a tank has leaked and the pinhole(s) been repaired I would suggest it prudent to thoroughly clean/scour inside the tank and apply a credible sealer to mitigate against further pinhole leaks that will no doubt follow in time. An in line filter is a sticking plaster for an on going problem, apart from that they are fugly. The only instance in which they are justified is where bad fills are common place.