T: Fuel Tank Best sealant

SteveW

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had an old, very rusty BS tank. I flushed it w/ gas, then used carb cleaner and fish tank pebbles. I then spent an afternoon shaking and turning it around. I also used muriatic acid (be careful around paint w/ it), then neutralized it w/ baking soda and water. Then brake cleaner.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
On another forum I have heard complaints against POR-15 in that if the tank gets hot as when parked in the sun, the metal tank can separate from the POR and then you have a big problem getting the POR-15 out. I have used POR-15 on one m/c tank but it is not in service yet (which I wish I had not after reading about that). I have used Bill Hirsh's Fuel Tank sealer on my Model A Ford - no problems after 15+years with 10% ethanol in USA. It is sold at his web site or most antique car parts suppliers.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have just put slosh from Draganfly in the Tank I have been working on I have used it before mind you I only use Esso supreme so its hardly a test.....

Normski

Non-VOC Member
On another forum I have heard complaints against POR-15 in that if the tank gets hot as when parked in the sun, the metal tank can separate from the POR and then you have a big problem getting the POR-15 out. I have used POR-15 on one m/c tank but it is not in service yet (which I wish I had not after reading about that). I have used Bill Hirsh's Fuel Tank sealer on my Model A Ford - no problems after 15+years with 10% ethanol in USA. It is sold at his web site or most antique car parts suppliers.
Hitchcock motorcycles sell Bill Hirsch sealer here in the UK

kettlrj

VOC Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. I now have all the info that I need to do a good job. By the way , the tank in question is off my 1926 Royal Enfield which has a combined oil and fuel tank and is of soldered construction.