Misc: Ignition Best Place for a Coil

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
One more option. If you are willing to either desecrate an original part, or buy a new Taylor, (not made in China), cowl from Vincent Spares, you can mount the coil directly to the cowl as this ignition user did. He is using a QD disconnect for the small wires so he can remove the cowl if he wants to.

cowl in.jpg
cowl.jpg

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
One more option. If you are willing to either desecrate an original part, or buy a new Taylor, (not made in China), cowl from Vincent Spares, you can mount the coil directly to the cowl as this ignition user did. He is using a QD disconnect for the small wires so he can remove the cowl if he wants to.

View attachment 26548View attachment 26549
That wouldn`t be too bad Ron, my cowl is a new one so I wouldn`t be messing up an original part, I`ve not done anything to my Vinnie that can`t be undone & not modified any original parts.
Really useful ideas, just miffed I seemed to have had a lack of imagination coming up with an idea !
Cheers
Dave

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Hi Bruce,
My mag cowl is an alloy one, but if I could use industrial strength glue on a couple of bolts it would work well as a heat sink for the coil.
Cheers
Dave
My studs are screwed into a strap with tapped holes to give more area for the epoxy to grip to. The same could apply to your approach.

vibrac

VOC Member
All smart ideas but I just don't think the leading edge of a rain & crud storm is the best place for wiring and electronics however if you want it to look a bit standard and you don't go out if the forecast is wet it's acceptable. When function beats form however as in serious riding or racing high up is best.
I know it is possible to fit the standard BTH coils under the cowl with the supplied brackets as I saw it done on a new installation 2 weeks ago but it's a lot of firkeling about and is not an out of the box job

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
All smart ideas but I just don't think the leading edge of a rain & crud storm is the best place for wiring and electronics however if you want it to look a bit standard and you don't go out if the forecast is wet it's acceptable. When function beats form however as in serious riding or racing high up is best.
I know it is possible to fit the standard BTH coils under the cowl with the supplied brackets as I saw it done on a new installation 2 weeks ago but it's a lot of firkeling about and is not an out of the box job

Sound advice Tim,
The coil Francois supplies is pretty small and I`m going to put a shield or deflector to give some protection & if it fails I`ll have the recovery service to fall back on.
Cheers
Dave