Misc: Ignition Best Place for a Coil

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just finished timing up my Grosset Ignition which has now got me wondering where to site the coil.
Looks like there is plenty of room under the Mag Cover but I can`t see any neat way to mount it.
Any suggestions on where to put my coil,helpful or otherwise,gratefully received.
Cheers
Dave

stu spalding

VOC Member
I put one of my twin lead coils on a bracket on the frame tie, F47, in the cut out under the fuel tank. There again I'm not sure how big the Grosset coil is. Food for thought. Cheers, Stu.

davidd

VOC Member
This is a Power Arc ignition, but it shows how Oldhaven mounted items under his mag cowl.
IMG_0866.JPG

David

Oldhaven

VOC Member
The above picture shows that it is possible to make a bracket that sneaks under the mag cowl gap using the case bolts. That install also uses the mag mounting stud, though depending on the individual machine, some finagling is required.

I don't think Bob Larmour is on the forum, but he came up with a clever bracket to hold a coil on the cylinder head. Depending on the coil mounting arrangement this might work and it makes for a short run for the plug wires . It could even be incorporated into the commonly used steering damper bracket. There aren't many places to hide a coil on our spare machines, as the D coil mount shows.

043 (Medium).JPG
044 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I stick my BTH coils on a bracket on the sidecar/crash at mount with a bolt through a rubber hose that just fits the hole and swells up as the bolt is tightened

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
The above picture shows that it is possible to make a bracket that sneaks under the mag cowl gap using the case bolts. That install also uses the mag mounting stud, though depending on the individual machine, some finagling is required.

I don't think Bob Larmour is on the forum, but he came up with a clever bracket to hold a coil on the cylinder head. Depending on the coil mounting arrangement this might work and it makes for a short run for the plug wires . It could even be incorporated into the commonly used steering damper bracket. There aren't many places to hide a coil on our spare machines, as the D coil mount shows.

View attachment 26539View attachment 26540
Hi Oldhaven,
I like what David posted that you'd done under the mag cowl, so I'll have a go at that.
Cheers
Dave

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Here is a Norton dual points ignition under my Rapide cowl. This picture is from an earlier time using the same technique. The tabs leaving the cowl through the gap have to be ground down a bit, but those 2 big coils fit fine. I used SS strips for the brackets, and I could remove the entire coil, ballast resistor and condensor package as a unit in five minutes with tool kit tools to get at the points. It is hard to see the rear mount unless you magnify the picture, but it is fitted to a long nut/standoff (used elsewhere on the twins, I forget the part number, maybe G72), on the lower mag stud to allow the cowl edge to pass by the bracket.

image-jpg.12859

Last edited:

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Here is a Norton dual points ignition under my Rapide cowl. This picture is from an earlier time using the same technique. The tabs leaving the cowl through the gap have to be ground down a bit, but those 2 big coils fit fine. I used SS strips for the brackets, and I could remove the entire coil, ballast resistor and condensor package as a unit in five minutes with tool kit tools to get at the points. It is hard to see the rear mount unless you magnify the picture, but it is fitted to a long nut/standoff (used elsewhere on the twins, I forget the part number, maybe G72), on the lower mag stud to allow the cowl edge to pass by the bracket.

image-jpg.12859
Thanks for that Oldhaven,
It's only a small coil I need to find room for so I should be able to use a variation of what you've done no problem.
Really helpful.
Cheers
Dave

Last edited: