Best input sought to update front and rear suspension ?

Steve F

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
On 1952 twin what's my options to improve the front and rear suspension. I have the original factory set-up today. Safe and rideable is preferred to originality. Original parts can sit in a box for a next owner if that's their thing.

notap

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
On 1952 twin what's my options to improve the front and rear suspension. I have the original factory set-up today. Safe and rideable is preferred to originality. Original parts can sit in a box for a next owner if that's their thing.

I installed Thornton dampners and springs (as advertised in the back of MPH). They worked nicely for me. My local roads are pretty bad. They are maintained by our Council who treat potholes like a very slow game of golf.... they do nine holes and then shoot off to the pub for the rest of the day. Cheers. Rob

b'knighted

VOC Member
Round here they don't repair the potholes at all. You do see the road gangs out but they are just moving the potholes so that we can't memorise them!

davidd

VOC Member

In my opinion the best you can get is Thornton front damper, Thornton rear coil over damper and two 14" front springs from Sam Manganaro at The Vincent Works. I explain about the springs in a recent article in MPH, but if you are not a member and thus not familiar with it, you can write to me and I will give you the rundown, if you are interested.

David
daviddunfey@hotmail.com

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Steve,
A VOC Coventry Section member has been working with a local UK damper manufacturer to produce a relatively inexpensive unit to fit on a Vincent. The rear is damper is available and a solution to the front is "in the works" but not quite there yet. You can read more on the Coventry VOC website at:
http://coventryvoc.co.uk/rob_staley_specification_damper.htm

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes
The discussions on potholes is not that far off the subject, on a smooth track the standard Vincent suspension with a little application of hydraulics works well our Comet (and I suspect davidd as well) will lay over till everything scrapes and the alphabet twin with its superior (compared to girdralics) Bramptons is the same. But the roads nowadays are far far worse that the 1950's its no wonder modern bikes need a step ladder to climb on to them.
Our local Mayor (yes we have one!) at a public meeting when I complained about local potholes famously called them "Natures little road calmers"!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Steve, A Hydraulic Steering damper is a must in my opinion, The Kawa type is only about £50. Good Luck Bill.

Steve F

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I did the 5 year memebership thing, which I loved. Only problem is you (I) get out of the annual cadence of re-joining, so it lapsed at the end of 2011. Trying to re-join on line, but when I get to the payment page the software bombs me out. Tried a few times so I may have to resort to snail mail.

b'knighted

VOC Member
When did you opt for a five year membership? As far as I remember the first ever 5 year subscription term has not yet elapsed.

Bill and Notap are both to be listened to. I have just been out on a Comet with Thornton suspension and a hydraulic steering damper and they make a really fine feeling bike. Historically, in my first few hundred miles of Vincent ownership, I buckled a front wheel in a serious pothole which led to a tankslapper and jammed the front forks in a fully compressed mode. In my ignorance I rode the bike like that until it was pointed out to me at a section meeting. The freshly built forks were much too tight. Its handling was horrid! It did however make the standard prop stands work well though.
With the light Thornton front springing it is even more essential that the forks move very freely.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Steve
Contact the overseas membership secretary (john Phillip) via os-membership998 at voc dot uk dot com

John should be able to verify your membership status

Hope this helps
Neil