• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

E: Engine Best Choice Comet Assembly Sealant

craig

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
20211130_CometAssemblyCases1.jpg

What is the best sealant for 2021 Comet case assembly?
Trial fit is good.
Now need to seal with future disassembly in mind.
I did replace crankcase bolt E109/6.

Last edited:

oexing

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Well, I never had a problem with anaerobic Loctite seals being too quick when bolting up an engine case. They are not so fast in reaction as told. I do test assembling an engine for checking it turns over and shims to be correct. So only then I apply the seal in a very fine bead as that is all you need, just minimal amount. Then finally do up both halves of cases up to a gap of a few millimeters , alternatively 1/8 " gap, install most or all of the through bolts with nuts on - and only then knock halves fully home and do up all nuts by hand, tight enough. Then get decent spanners for torquing all nuts. The seal needs a few minutes for getting sticky and more solid so you´d be quick enough for this job I´d think. It would be a big problem anywhere in business if that type of seal were too fast in curing.
I´d be surprised if any type of sealant was oil soluble, not any Loctite I think. It is just that they don´t cure in free air, only in a limited gap. So excess sealant will stay creamy in the engine and not block any oilways.

Vic

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?