H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Bert Weisz brake mod.

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bert passed away a few years ago. Not only did he have a nice machine shop at home, he was a third shift maintenance machinist at the Windsor Ford works, so very unsupervised for Vincent projects!

In one of the referenced threads, I gave http://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/2.1/2.1-499-16.pdf as a link. It doesn't work now and is a different format to what is used now in the Whitakerpedia. I wonder what it used to show?

Keith Martin

VOC Member
Interesting seat by Bert Weisz.

Attachments

• IMG_6717.jpeg
    IMG_6717.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6718.jpeg
    IMG_6718.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6720.jpeg
    IMG_6720.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6721.jpeg
    IMG_6721.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6722.jpeg
    IMG_6722.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6724.jpeg
    IMG_6724.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 46

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I believe the Vincent Bert frequently rode to North American rallies, with telescopic front forks, was a Series B Shadow.

fogrider

VOC Member
I have remembered a WW2 Fordson 7V fire engine I restored some 43 years ago. The brakes were cable operated and pretty poor, even when re-lined. ( it was nearly 6 tons ). I met a guy who was an expert on the 7V's. He sold me a genuine Ford manual and said adjust the brakes EXACTLY as per manual, no short cuts. What a difference ! The memory is that those shoe pivots proved to be eccentric. So Berts' mod was well on the way to ensuring the pivots were near the best place. The pivots in the ally plates are held in with nuts, so, why not have eccentric pivots ? Much easier to arrange than Berts' mod, even more benefit and no ireversable changes to the backplate.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
How would you know when it was in the right spot? The gear change eccentric is enough work and at least it can be left once it is right. The pivot location might have to change with lining wear.

fogrider

VOC Member
The outside of the hex adjuster was marked with a slot I think. One of the advantages of the eccentric pivot is that when there is sufficient lining wear, the pivots can then be re-adjusted. It is accepted one lining wears more than the other is'nt it ? I know who has a Fordson manual near by, I shall have a borrow in the new year and see how it was all set up and adjusted. I can imagine it would be of benefit when standard thickness linings are fitted , setting the linings to just clearing at the pivot would make the best of things, I'm sure.
It must be worth investigating, Ford built brakes with it to stop heavy vehicles having mere cable operation, there has to be merit in it.