Bent Series ‘B’ Kickstart Lever

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I bought the longer shaft from Maughans think 1/4" longer.

ght
I could be mistaken but I thought my longer k/s shaft came from VOC Spares and there are two types on the site but difficult to see the difference because the pics are small

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I could be mistaken but I thought my longer k/s shaft came from VOC Spares and there are two types on the site but difficult to see the difference because the pics are small
I got a longer k/s shaft as part of the kit with the Grosset electric start

paw99

VOC Member
Thanks for replies - What I needed was a view from above, but that may now not be necessary; having sat and thought about the possible causes of fouling silencer, from KS shaft bearings through to silencer diameter, when I started to measure I found KS lever loose on shaft, so clamped up and probably now OK.
I have taken the above suggestion of a spacer on the shaft, must do that.
Also, I must remember - post in haste, blush at leisure!!
Again, thanks.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I don't know when they stopped but the early kick start levers were made in Stainless steel. On the B I did a couple of years ago I know it had been crashed before being sort of repaired and then put away for 50 odd years. The lever fouled the pipe a bit dramatically so gently in the press it went, lined up on appropriate bits and "straightened" which involved mostly decreasing the bend just up from the splined end. Polished up and re-chromed it looked great until I went to refit it, just touched the chrome and big pieces peeled off. I plead ignorance and the plater redid it now knowing he was dealing with Stainless and not just good old steel! I blushed, repented at my leisure and he was very kind and did it no charge!

This was an engine in the 216X range.