G: Gearbox (Twin) Bending Alloy Gear Change Lever

teunvandriel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have made many straight, it's simple, just heat it with a hobby torch. But when do you know if the material has the right temperature to bend? Rub the back of a matchstick over the pedal until the wood turns brown, then straighten it.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
The way I was taught was to lit the oxy-acetylene torch with acetylene only. Then sooting the lever. Then with a normal flame heat it until the soot disappear. Then bend the lever.
Have done it on a Japanese bike lever. Never tried it on any other lever. Done it on rearset brackets a couple of times after spills.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks to your thread Norm, I was not happy with the leverage on mine,
So have drilled another hole for a second Foot piece !!, So now have 2 ! ,
Making the movement more heavy !, As long as it doesn't over throw the gears ,
Might work. Cheers Bill.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Replacing the plates you have fitted, you could put a peg above and a peg below your toes, so you never have to move your foot out around the footpiece.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have often thought about a Rocking gear change, Down for down and down for Up,
But I am a bit heavy footed !.
Funny how you get used to things you have modified, 30 years ago !!.
Riding someone's Standard Twin, I thought Christ !, This is light :D ,
But I can't use standard footrests.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I have often thought about a Rocking gear change, Down for down and down for Up,
But I am a bit heavy footed !.
Funny how you get used to things you have modified, 30 years ago !!.
Riding someone's Standard Twin, I thought Christ !, This is light :D ,
But I can't use standard footrests.
I’ve got a heel and toe gearchange on a Guzzi and quite like it. Some say they originated because the Italians didn’t like using and scuffing the tops of their shiny shoes to change gear.

oexing

VOC Member
So get a prewar Guzzi single, low for everybody. And a real triangulated swing arm at the rear wheel, similar to Vincent, just upside down - and a joy on rough roads. Well, the gearbox is a bit agricultural . . . .

Vic
IMG00019.JPG