• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

G: Gearbox Bending Alloy Gear Change Lever

Normski

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Hi, hope someone can help me here - I’d like to set the gearchange lever on my D a little lower. As things are if I do this it clashes with the kickstart when changing up. Can I bend the lever outwards or would it break?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I made this up myself, Much the same thing, But You could bend it however You want.
The first bit , I think is the short link from a "B" Facing forward,
And just bolt the extra bit on to it,
Making a short plate going through the pivot bolt and the end bolt hole,
Then weld whatever you want.

Attachments

• 002 (8) (1).JPG
    002 (8) (1).JPG
    415.1 KB · Views: 27
  • MO09.gif
    MO09.gif
    125.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Normski

VOC Member
Ian and Bill, thank you for your suggestions to add a dropped toe piece. The amount I need to bend it is very little. I’d like to try to do this first. It looks like it is bent inwards slightly from straight, I’m wary of just bending it without asking for advice. Can it be tweaked after heating? And should it break can it be welded to repair? Someone must have tried to do this.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Normski, try this, smear a bit of soap on the lever and heat the area to be bent until the soap turns black, then bend, but not too much. There have been some poor quality levers made in the past (I've broken 4)
so proceed with caution. Cheers, Stu.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I have had one off a Comet welded with no problems at all. My advice would be to get it hot, spit bouncing off hot, and then just go for it. It sounds like you are looking for a few thou bend only.

teunvandriel

Website User
VOC Member
I have made many straight, it's simple, just heat it with a hobby torch. But when do you know if the material has the right temperature to bend? Rub the back of a matchstick over the pedal until the wood turns brown, then straighten it.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
The way I was taught was to lit the oxy-acetylene torch with acetylene only. Then sooting the lever. Then with a normal flame heat it until the soot disappear. Then bend the lever.
Have done it on a Japanese bike lever. Never tried it on any other lever. Done it on rearset brackets a couple of times after spills.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks to your thread Norm, I was not happy with the leverage on mine,
So have drilled another hole for a second Foot piece !!, So now have 2 ! ,
Making the movement more heavy !, As long as it doesn't over throw the gears ,
Might work. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have often thought about a Rocking gear change, Down for down and down for Up,
But I am a bit heavy footed !.
Funny how you get used to things you have modified, 30 years ago !!.
Riding someone's Standard Twin, I thought Christ !, This is light :D ,
But I can't use standard footrests.

Normski

VOC Member
I have often thought about a Rocking gear change, Down for down and down for Up,
But I am a bit heavy footed !.
Funny how you get used to things you have modified, 30 years ago !!.
Riding someone's Standard Twin, I thought Christ !, This is light :D ,
But I can't use standard footrests.
I’ve got a heel and toe gearchange on a Guzzi and quite like it. Some say they originated because the Italians didn’t like using and scuffing the tops of their shiny shoes to change gear.

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?

The Mighty Garage Videos

List of Forum Categories