Belt drive

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Alton notchiness-Its a 'good en' alright it took every roller out of my center run of my primary chain when I fitted it ,mind you that was on the 1999 lap of the IOM and I was also still under the impression that Reynolds triplex was the good old stuff rather than steel spagetti for tin box camshafts it now is (welded rollers indeed!)

Rocket3

VOC Member
There is no dynamo to drive on my bike as it has no electrical equipment, it has a daytime MOT and spends most of its time on the track.

If i dispense with the shock absorber will i need a cush drive in the back wheel? and i am still not sure if the belt will fit under the chain case.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Renold's chain

Here is the myth that "the market" works, exploded. Under threat from El Cheapo chains, Renold started to sell cheapo chain in parallel to their own stuff, to capture the market that thought that price was the only thing that counted. I was lucky enough to buy from someone who told me this, so I paid the extra, and got the good stuff. My Renold rear chain has never been adjusted, has done 12,000 Scott-oiled (that is probably significant) miles. Of course I don't for one moment believe that motorcycle dealers would pass off the el cheapo stuff as the real thing, while charging you the full price. Heavens, no.
But the answer is to buy Tsubaki or DID chain, specifically designed for motorcycles, and not Renold, which while good stuff , is actually industrial chain, good for a million hours if kept clean, oiled, and under a constant load. None of which is true of motorcycles. Not for the first time, we were conned into thinking that British made (Hans Renold was German) meant best. Just like British motorcycles were state-of-the-art. Until Honda exploded the con and sold a 750 four. A bit like Dorothy drawing the curtain on the Wizard of Oz, really.

Alton notchiness-Its a 'good en' alright it took every roller out of my center run of my primary chain when I fitted it ,mind you that was on the 1999 lap of the IOM and I was also still under the impression that Reynolds triplex was the good old stuff rather than steel spagetti for tin box camshafts it now is (welded rollers indeed!)

vibrac

VOC Member
We can see no need for a shock absorber we had a grimeca back wheel and replaced with a standard vincent wheel to save weight-no noticable difference and dont forget our racer is nudging 1300 cc. As for the chain case (not a problem for us)ask Bob specifically in an e-mail he will come back with the answer within a day.

If i dispense with the shock absorber will i need a cush drive in the back wheel? and i am still not sure if the belt will fit under the chain case.

vibrac

VOC Member
well the last thing you need on a 1275 vincent is a good back brake, going down hill on the track in the wet just closing the throttle can make the wheel slip.with those big pistons and the compression a light touch is all you need before rubber gives
And as I said in MPH we stuck a disk on the vinny wheel for £50 all in but we still neeed to get some less grippy pads.
Thats taken this thread a long way from belt drives....

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Getting back to the question, I have 40mm belt drive on my Egli. I drive a Suzuki alternator by belt from a pulley on back of clutch. It has all proved reliable over about 10,000miles. You will of course need to seal the crankshaft.
I have a fabricated aluminium cover over it so cannot advise if the standard cover will fit.
Bill