bearings

metal bits

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
hi i am building a twin from scratch does any body no the sizes and numbers for the main bearings
and the bearings that fit g2 plus the other side of the gearbox

regards metal bits

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
hi i am building a twin from scratch does any body no the sizes and numbers for the main bearings
and the bearings that fit g2 plus the other side of the gearbox

regards metal bits
All the bearings and their reference numbers in Vincent engines are listed in the Paul Richardson book.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Yes, do a lot of reading,and best to get someone like Maughams to do the assembly after checking the alignment of your crankshaft.This is the foundation of a good motor and you cannot take shortcuts here.Buy your bearings from a reputable Vincent stockist-because there are a lot of untrustworthy Eastern manufacturers!

Howard

VOC Member
Yes, do a lot of reading,and best to get someone like Maughams to do the assembly after checking the alignment of your crankshaft.This is the foundation of a good motor and you cannot take shortcuts here.Buy your bearings from a reputable Vincent stockist-because there are a lot of untrustworthy Eastern manufacturers!

I agree with Chankly, but it's not just Eastern manufacturers you have to worry about. If you are not knowledgable in the black art of bearing references you can get the wrong bearing from a good manufacturer.

H

Bracker1

VOC Member
I read in the 40 years on a conversion to the harly tapered bearings. If the cases are new, might be a good alternative. The american bearings are always of superior quality and should last and function quite well. Good Luck, Dan

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Roy
since some of us do have the 1977 mph's could you please list them here thanks, anyone used an sealed bearing on the outer drive side.
peter

davidd

VOC Member
I have run the sealed bearing in the racer with excellent success. It is a Consolidated Bearing number MS-10-2RS. I run the seals on both sides as did Carleton in his racer.

David

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
The sealed bearings are,for my money, a good way to go. Not tried in a vin but had excellent results in my d m w typhoon. this old goat raced for a good 10 years at up to 9.000 rpm's all on one set! As the vin will rarely see half this speed it has got to be "worth a shot". As for taper bearings on the mains ,Fred Warr reckoned a good panhead can run 100.000 miles on the bottom end, during my research i have come across several who are running this set-up in vins with good results, most are racers.