H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Bearings

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just about to fit a nice new Michelin Pilot Active tyre to the rear wheel of my D Comet, thought I would check the wheel bearings and brake linings whilst the wheel is out, all OK sort of, but I note one bearing has been running a little dry and there are signs of discolouration due to rust, first time I have gone in this deep since purchasing the bike, I also notice that the bearing cups (narrow) are both spinning beautifully in the hubs, but without any perceptible play, almost feels like a perfect bearing, but I guess it would be very unwise to leave it like this, any suggestions on the best grade of Loctite to use for this problem, or is this route not advisable, I will be reluctant to break the wheel down to fit a new hub if it is not necessary.

davidd

VOC Member
I have never used Loctite 660 Quick Metal, but I think it may be too viscous for a slip fit. I think you need to select by clearance. I have 638, so I would be inclined to use it.

Retaining.PNG

David

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
As you know Vincent, I am still on Standard brakes at the moment, still saving my Euro cents until I can afford a set of your fantastic TLS brakes with air scoops, at the moment I can only dream, but one day......

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I did the quick metal"repair" back in the seventies it has been raced for 30 years and still good. Best of all the material was a gift.