H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Bearings

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Nobody suspected a hub to reach 100 degrees. So what´s your guess, maybe 60 degrees from the bearings and the brake drums ? So I´d heat the hub 20 degrees higher - 80 degrees - and Loctite the cold races into the alu hub. The preload will be allright like so.
Loctite will not let go due to the high temps but from heat growth of the alu hub. It is not a glue but fills any minimal gap and has high shear strength. When heat growth is a factor - steel and alu in an assembly - the gap returns when the bearing race was loctited cold. So any shear strength is void when a gap forms.

Vic

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
And dont forget about the bearing rule.
If a rolling outer and stand still trust.you have to have interference fit or it will go like a pletroll.

Same for inner :
If a running inner race and stand still trust.

And now more difficult;
If a stand still inner race and rotating trust on it. Can we have a sliding fit? Or will it fail?
Look it up in your SKF book

Albervin

VOC Member
I suspect (and really we do not know) that the shimming of the axle was not accurate. This would have pre-loaded the bearings causing them to overheat, dry out and then start to weld to the cups. This would cause the axle and hub to rotate as one. This would eventually lead to rotation of the tommy bar after quite some time. Graham said the lip nut had disappeared before he used a non original replacement. That the entire rear axle arrangement was acting as a single unit would mean there were meany kilometres involved in the destruction. I am sure it does not need micro-analaysis as no animals were harmed in the process. Anyway, I am a chemist so am open to more cogent suggestions.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Hi Vic,
Some continentals would say that if one puts a bearing in a heated up casing or so.
The chemical reactions become VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY rapid indeed and thus curing the locktite in a rather VERY VERY quick way in an bigger seating than when at normal temp.
So it might run heavily.
But its sure fix in the seat :p

Fixed your post for you.

charles d cannon jr

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Had a quite loose bearing on the right rear hub side. The hub was other wise perfect and the bearing was is good shape. Cut a strip of aluminum from a soft drink can, encircled the bearing and pressed in with green locktite.