Bearing Fit Recommendations

Tracey Tilley

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can anyone recommend a good bearing fit adhesive that can withstand engine temperatures?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Tilley

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Bearing fit

Many people swear by Loctite bearing fit. The occasional purist (and i don't knock them) swear at it. A friend used it to take up 0.002" clearance (that should have been interference) between the cam and the camwheel of his vintage bike several years ago. There has been nothing to report since. If you do plan to use it, read Know Thy Beast as a Vin owner's guide to where and how to apply.
My advice would be go ahead, but if it's a main bearing that is walking, perhaps it would be prudent to find out why, and fix that problem by "classic" methods, first.

There is an even stronger version of "bearing fit" but since both my bottles are labelled in Norwegian, telling you the stronger one is labelled "ekstra sterk" may not help you much.

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Loctite

Tom
I'm no Noewegian speaker but could it mean Extra Strong?
Ian

There is an even stronger version of "bearing fit" but since both my bottles are labelled in Norwegian, telling you the stronger one is labelled "ekstra sterk" may not help you much.

methamon

Non-VOC Member
In reply to the gentleman that referred to main bearing fit and then subsequently "classic" methods. If this is a reference to staking I would not follow this practice. I have had several twin engines upon which inexperienced (and probably thrifty) previous owners have staked the main bearing housing with hidious results. One pair of cases was so bad the housings resembled threepeny bits. This results in misaligned bearings which is not a desirable situation. I understand that the factory staked bearings, usually in 4 places however time has moved on.
Other items on the engine were also staked by the factory but surely the correct grade of loctite is a better sollution in this day & age?:)

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
Thanks

Thanks for all your replies.I will pass the information on to my friend who does not have a computer.:)

Chris.

dave g6xnc

Non-VOC Member
Locktite

This is just the job, when removal of nuts bearingsis etc is required, application of a heat gun is all that is required get it really hot and all will be well.
Dave gs.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Loctite

It doesn't need to be really hot, about 100 C will do it.

This is just the job, when removal of nuts bearingsis etc is required, application of a heat gun is all that is required get it really hot and all will be well.
Dave gs.