Battery........

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone know of an 8-10 amp battery that fits into a black rubber case?..or an 8-10 amp battery that comes in a black rubber case?...I purchased an Alton and I hate the idea of a cheap looking japanese battery on my beast.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I'll have one too.......

Does anyone know of an 8-10 amp battery that fits into a black rubber case?..or an 8-10 amp battery that comes in a black rubber case?...I purchased an Alton and I hate the idea of a cheap looking japanese battery on my beast.

Hi Bob,

I'd like one too if yuo come across one (although I need 14 aHr for the starter) - I ended up with a H-D battery which I sprayed black and it doesn't look that bad to me.

I did contemplate getting two rubber cases and cutting and splicing them to make a larger unit - haven't got around to it yet.

Try Odyssey Gel Batteries - I use them on other bikes and they are very small units with a huge capacity - they cost more (about £80 each in the UK) but I have found them lasting several times as long when used with an Optimate trickle charger.

Regards

rapcom

VOC Member
Batteries

By coincidence, this thread started while I was on the phone to an Odyssey supplier, finding out about their batteries, as the battery in one of my bikes has died.
I am confused, as the Yuasa YTX14BS (as recommended by Francois for his starter) is quoted on the Yuasa website as 200CCA, while the Odyssey PC310 (the only Odyssey which will go in the same space ) is only 100CCA. On a Vincent, I have a YTX20BS with 270CCA.
Even if the quality is better, fewer CCA will not help a starter-equipped bike, especially at £88 per battery.
Further recommendations gratefully received.....
As for black rubber batteries, I hide garish white plastic ones in a sheath of old inner tube-they are black rubber......
http://www.odysseybatteriesonline.co.uk/odyssey/products/productspec.php
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/2008yuaapp.pdf

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
Hi,

I don't know what you can access in the UK but I use a HD battery for the V-rod, it's black and has good crank hours. I have the French Electric Leg on my bike.

Chris

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
By coincidence, this thread started while I was on the phone to an Odyssey supplier, finding out about their batteries, as the battery in one of my bikes has died.
I am confused, as the Yuasa YTX14BS (as recommended by Francois for his starter) is quoted on the Yuasa website as 200CCA, while the Odyssey PC310 (the only Odyssey which will go in the same space ) is only 100CCA. On a Vincent, I have a YTX20BS with 270CCA.
Even if the quality is better, fewer CCA will not help a starter-equipped bike, especially at £88 per battery.
Further recommendations gratefully received.....
As for black rubber batteries, I hide garish white plastic ones in a sheath of old inner tube-they are black rubber......
http://www.odysseybatteriesonline.co.uk/odyssey/products/productspec.php
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/2008yuaapp.pdf

I'll have to check the numbers as I have two on other bikes - they happily spin a Ducati 851 SP and a 4-cylinder Honda - will post later.

Regards

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Odyssey Gel batteries

Most of these gel style batteries are designed for another application entirely, then adapted for automotive use.
The original battery was deisigned by Hawker batteries for telecommunications use, where the battery is designed to sit there for years, and support the load when the mains fails. They are not designed for high cranking amps (same with the varley red-top race battery) over a long period.
Hence the lower CCA rating;)

For reference I can get the Hawker equivilent of the odyssey battery for the BMW GS for only £25 if I buy them in 10's

Neil

PS
Hope to see many of you at the Herts & Beds/ Sidecar/ Series A rally this weekend:D

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I'll be there on Sunday....

PS
Hope to see many of you at the Herts & Beds/ Sidecar/ Series A rally this weekend:D

Hi Neil, I'll be there on Sunday, same as last year (but with a better running bike, cams and followers were on last legs last year I now know).

Great event, great location (once I found it) and a great Burger cooked by Ray Smith.

How's he doing, is he coming this year and who's cooking?

Regards

PS
I'd recommend posting a thread when there is an event coming up putting in a link to last years pictures - I think I took quite a few last year - feel free to use the link. I've had one or two people come up to me at events and say they only knew about it because of the link/thread.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Actually the Odyssey type batteries have a much higher cranking amp rating due to lower internal resistance. I have an 18 A/H version on my Mitsubishi Evo and the CCA (cold cranking amps) is 680 for 5 seconds at 20 deg C. I needed a smaller battery to reduce weight and so far this battery has been perfect !!
I'm not sure if thats the smallest version available , but unfortunately it's a bit loud colour wise !!

There is another supplier with black cased versions , but I can't get the name until I'm at home later.

A_HRD

VOC Member
AGM Batteries

Dick,

If you look at the Tech Page on the Odyssey Website, you'll see that the PC310 CCA is 100 at 0deg F, but 200 @ 80 deg F. By the way, there are Gel batteries and there are Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries; different technologies; the AGM being far superior and used by the RAF in certain aircraft and vehicles. I once saw an AGM battery, about half as big again as a Vincent battery, start a military landrover from cold on a frosty morning. In my view, the AGM is the way to go - especially if you can increase the available space to the next size up...

Peter B
Bristol, UK