• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Misc: Charging Systems Battery Terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

erik

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
how should the battery terminals be connected? the Imperial or Continental way? regards Erik

Last edited by a moderator:

van drenth

VOC Member
Positive stays Positive even when the wiring is as positieve earth.
Regards
van Drenth JC

b'knighted

VOC Member
Battery terminals seem to be built to take metric screws, one of the few places I use them on a Vincent. Is that the continental way?

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
Unlike most British bikes of the era, I believe Vincents were Negative Ground. Were there any years that they used Positive ground?

van drenth

VOC Member
Yes, I have changed over two 1952 bikes.
From 6 volt to 12 volt and de polarity.
Dynamo,s bulbs and regulator,
van Drenth JC

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
My Vincent Rider's Handbook, Tenth Edition (Red Cover), that I got from Harper's Engines, Ltd, in 1974, on page 64 shows a wiring diagram. This diagram clearly shows the machine as having Negative Earth (Ground). Can someone confirm from an earlier handbook (circa 1951) whether it was unchanged from earlier years for Erik, please?

Kevin Emery

Website User
VOC Member
I have a 1952 Series C Rapide, It has positive earth. So at least one is wired that way. I have no reason to believe it is not the original wiring loom.

Ian Savage

VOC Member
"I have no reason to believe it is not the original wiring loom."
The loom will not change only the dynamo, regulator and battery polarity. Series D's were +ve earth, often when fitting Lucas dynamos and regs to B or C's the polarity was changed. I think the early JG units were +ve also.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
I would do the positive,
it beats the negative.
:p
Actually, for automotive use, that is not true. Research has shown that negative earth (ground) has better corrosion resistance properties and better sparking performance, which is why almost all vehicles are done that way today.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Oh Dear, this is where we run into problems. I would recommend negative earth. Both types of car alternator that I have used are neative earth and as far as I know all modern cars and their equipment are the same.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
So here starts the impossible, yet true
The negative, becomes the positive.
:p

Not that it has anything to do with curent or voltage

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
We're going to have to disconnect this circuit for a bit to allow the negative energy to dissipate, so it can return to a positive state. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.