Battery switch or plug and socket

Harvey Bowden

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, Anyone help with suggesting a good little switch or plug and socket for disconnecting the battery when not in use to prevent drain. Needs to carry the load of an electric starter.
Thanks

Harvey Bowden

hadronuk

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It would need to be fairly hefty to carry starter motor current.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-AMP-B...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item257a9b3d27

The battery cut off switches used by cars in competition are rather bulky for a bike. Could you separate the heavy feed wire to the starter from a lighter wire that feeds everything else? That way you can use a much lower current capability switch.

Incidently, Triumph T160s left the factory with a both loom and starter earth wires connected to the battery terminal. When the heavy earth lead became detached at the starter motor end, the starter current then all passed though the main loom earth wire, burning it out. Worth not replicating.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi Harvey,

Assuming (always dangerous) that it is your regulator causing the drain, could you fit a switch in its earth lead? This could be done with a dipswitch on the handlebars feeding earth to either the regulator when running or to a cutout cover on the mag to ensure bike isn’t running.

jim burgess

VOC Member
Hi, Anyone help with suggesting a good little switch or plug and socket for disconnecting the battery when not in use to prevent drain. Needs to carry the load of an electric starter.
Thanks

Harvey Bowden

I bought a small switch from "vehicle wiring products" used them on the Norvin and Shadow as isolators.
Jim Burgess

miked

Active Forum User
VOC Member
In the past (on a car) I have used a large mono audio jack plug and soldered the tip connection inside to the ring one.

Mike

Howard

VOC Member
I use a 30 Amp fused relay in the earth from the battery. It disconnects everything, and any small switch will operate it. Not sure if 30 Amp is big enough with a starter, but the basic principle should be ok.

H

John Cone

VOC Member
On the Prince i use one of those 2 pin rubber plugs and sockets used for lawn mowers or strimmers to disconnect the battery, i also have the same plug on the end of my battery charger so charging is easier if needed.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
The starter should be run through a relay straight to the battery and not in the same circuit as the rest of the bike. I'd use an ignition switch like D's have. If your bike is draining the battery through the starter relay, you have a faulty relay.
Cheers, John

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
I use a Podtronics regulator and do not have a problem with the battery going down.

John Mead