battery ignition for Comet 1954

• Thread starter charlottevictoria
  • Start date
C

charlottevictoria

Dear all,

my Comet (with Blacknell Bullet sidecar) has the same problem for many years. When the magnet is freshly repaired with e new condenser, the engine starts perfectly - also when it's warm. After some years its becomming worser and worser (only in warm condition). Every time the condenser was damaged and the whole magnet has to be repaired. I guess that the magnetic ignition system becomes too hot under the cover???

So my question:
Is it possible to change to a good battery ignition (perhaps an electronic one?) where I can use my advance unit (and its conus)? Could you tell me a good supplier? Ideally for six volt?

Thanks very much
Peter

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Peter, What about a BSA C11 Distributor, You can use it 6 or 12 volt, I went electronic, I think big mistake, Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Peter, It's like a "D" distributor, The advance is inside, Bobweights, You will need an alloy triangle fitting,Pinion boss, Fibre pinion etc, Like a D twin. Try and get a look at the book," Know Thy Beast", Also check if the fittings are in stock at the Spares Company. Good luck Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
There's nothing wrong with Bill's suggestion. I changed from Mag to coil many moons ago due to starting problems - and I know lots of people who swear by mags and will tell you not to change to coil.

Where I differ, I made the next technology jump to Pazon electronic and my twin is a totally different (better) engine all through the rev range, and starts easily. You can get them with a housing that bolts on in place of the mag from Kirby Rowbotham, Paul Goff and others.

Lot's of alternatives, the next post will probably tell you to get a new BTH.

H

john998

VOC Member
Hello, How about fitting a bright spark capacitor, after removing the internal one. If it gets tired after a while, you can change by the road side if needed.
I have fitted one to a mag and it works well, not tried it on an engine yet though. John.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello John, What sort of a job was it, I have all the details and some mags in bits, But i am not sure i could do it, Looks a fiddle ?? All The Best Bill.