Misc: Charging Systems Battery for Electric Start Series ‘C’ Rapide

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
I need a new battery for my Rapide C with Grosser electric start. The current Yuasa YTX-14BS isn’t holding a charge, maybe through
not using the bike much over winter. I keep it charged with a battery conditioner but it’s not on constantly.
Just wondering if there’s an Odyssey variant of the YTX-14BS or is the Yuasa the best bet?
Any help appreciated.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Danno, if you can handle the expense, £200, the best bet is an 18ah Shorai LiFe battery from Carrot Cycles. I used 14ah lead acid for years but it was marginal. They also do a replica Exide case that the battery is a snug fit in. Cheers, Stu.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Echoing Stu. I guess it depends on what you can afford. The Shorai is painful in the wallet but the business on the bike. Mine is fitted inside a dummy battery case and I've removed the kickstart. (Having seen the price of a new kickstart the Shorai looks less expensive.;))

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies. TBH I don’t use the electric start mainly due to fear of it running the battery down. Also gives me a chance to learn the kick
start technique. :)
I guess if I’ve got a battery that turns it over without any problem and starts ok then I could possibly remove the kickstart.
Will check out the Shorai. Four times the price of the Yuasa. If it starts the Vin no problem and lasts a lot longer, it may be worth fitting.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Shorai requires a charging system that produces a minimum of 13.1 volts at idle for their batteries.
If you run with lights on this will only happen with a very strong charging system. My Alton won't do it.
In fact, the Alton doesn't produce 13.1 at idle with lights switched off.
A Walkenator or McDougallator might.

One other note- the actual storage capacity of the LFX-18 Shorai is just over 6 Amphours. This amount is available if drawn from fully charged at 14.4 volts to fully discharged at 12.9 volts. If your system can only charge to 13 .5 volts like my Alton, then you only have about 3AH storage.
If you happen to be sitting in traffic at night, idling with the lights on when the system drops to 12.9 , everything shuts off.
It's quite the alarming sensation!

Glen

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
As I said, I would stick with the Yuasa, it is more than adequate and also the battery that Francois Grosset recommends, but I do have the benefit of a Walkernator working with a Nippon Denso alternator which pumps out all you will ever need, even on tickover.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the tech info Glen.
Yes, that could be a problem. The bike has a Lucas Rita system fitted and the red charging light glows at tickover.
With lights on, the voltmeter doesn’t rise above zero until higher revs.

danno

Non-VOC Member
As I said, I would stick with the Yuasa, it is more than adequate and also the battery that Francois Grosset recommends, but I do have the benefit of a Walkernator working with a Nippon Denso alternator which pumps out all you will ever need, even on tickover.

Yes, the Francois Grosset electric start was fitted in the mid nineties and it’s always had Yuasa batteries.
I think I’d be more inclined to upgrade the charging system if required. My late father fitted it all out, complete with indicators. As far as I know, the Rita is adequate for charging the 12v system but I could do with more when running lights.