Misc: Charging Systems Battery Discharging

big ben

Forum User
VOC Member
I have a series C Comet, the battery is going flat even when switched off, I’ve taken a battery lead off and put an ameter in, with the switch off it is showing a discharge of 0.2 amps. If I pull the plug (single wire) that plugs in the back of the dynamo out, the ameter goes to 0.00. It is 6 volt + earth, Miller dynamo, I replaced the regulator years ago with a little black solid stat thing that people used to use, forget what it was called think it was 2 or 3 letters, K something? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think you are talking about a "Ktec" regulator. They were excellent for a while but mostly didn't last overly long before problems arose....
Peter B

stu spalding

VOC Member
I used a Ktek regulator on my Fiat dynamo and it lasted a few years before it went pop. Ithought "That's OK, I can live with that", and fitted another one. It lasted a few minutes! Cheers, Stu.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I use one of these to disconnect my battery, but, unlike a switch, if you forget to connect it after starting the bike, it is harder to take care off without having to shut down and restart in front of an adoring crowd.

71VWSffORCL._SL1500_.jpg