battery corrosion

ossie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
right lads and lassies.
what causes my battery to get a corrosive buildup on the battery platform.
I cannot see any places where there could be a short .no cracks in the battery casing etc
the battery is of the type that has no top cover so the filler caps are open to the outside.
would it be that the battery is venting a mist through the caps and making a circuit enough to cause this problem.
it is only a 6v system and is using a lucas regulator,not a fantastic charge but as I don,t do a lot of night time riding its enough.
next time I unwrap it I will take a photo..
This is a recent problem old style batteries never done this do I need to seal it off from the outside air.
it does not have a breather tube fitting on this battery.Its been on the bike a few years now.
OSSIE

John Cone

VOC Member
Just regularly wash it off with some warm water and soap. You can get battery terminal spray that prevents this.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
would it be that the battery is venting a mist through the caps and making a circuit enough to cause this problem.
A very easy diagnostic and fix (of sorts) for this is to sprinkle some baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) from the kitchen on the platform around the bottom of the battery. If it fizzes, which I predict it will, it's due to battery acid. The nice thing about this diagnostic is it also fixes the problem (or, strictly speaking, the symptom of the problem of a mist of acid getting from your battery to the platform). The baking soda reacts with the sulfuric acid to neutralize it. Assuming it fizzes, remove the battery, clean it with sacrificial rags while wearing gloves, and use baking soda to neutralize the remaining acid on the housing. As for the platform, keep sprinkling the baking soda until the fizzing stops, wear gloves to clean up the residue, then sprinkle some more to be sure you got it all. Of course, while this take care of the acid that is there now, it doesn't stop your battery from continuing to emit a mist in the future, so the problem will be back.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Ossie,
If you know how to use a multi-meter have a quick check of your charging system.
It could be over charging the battery, causing the acid to boil off, and vent out through the caps and then leech over the platform.

HTH
Neil

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Ossie,
If you know how to use a multi-meter have a quick check of your charging system.
It could be over charging the battery, causing the acid to boil off, and vent out through the caps and then leech over the platform.

HTH
Neil

I would think about replacing the voltage regulator with a modern unit - which BTW can be mounted inside the miller/lucas regulator can so it does not detract from the original appearance. One source of these is this http://www.podtronics.net/DC_regulator.htm

Martyn

ossie

VOC Member
thanks for all these replies its roughly as I thought it probably makes it worse when I use it in the wet and it washes off the battery onto the platform.
Martyn I have had a couple of these units on the bike not very successful one completely cooked itself. that's why I reverted to the old lucas unit.
will try a meter across the terminals.
OSSIE

greg brillus

VOC Member
If you rev the engine to say around 2000 to 2500 rpm the charge rate should be no higher than 7.2 volts at the battery terminals, And if the battery is charged, then you will only see around 1 to 2 amps charge rate at the ammeter anyway. I always place a piece of rubber mat between the battery and it's tray.............Greg.

ossie

VOC Member
ive put a photo of battery on the site , i ve now took it off and I am reinstating the paintwork etc.
I think its the style of battery and its venting through the filler caps that is the problem.
I did have it on a non slip rubber sheet.

Panama

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Corrosion near the battery does not necessarily mean that there is a leak. The battery contains acid (you knew that) and most batteries have a means for 'breathing' which allows some of the acidic vapor to leak out and affect anything susceptible that is nearby.

I learned about this in a completely unrelated way. I stored a plastic jug of muriatic acid in a tool shed in my back yard. One day, upon retrieving a tool, I found substantial corrosion. Upon further investigation I found that all metal tools within a few feet of the acid container were showing similar signs of corrosion. The acid vapor was attacking all metal objects in the vicinity. The tools were cleaned and the muriatic acid evicted and stored in another location. No problems since then.