battery carrier problem

MartinRestorer

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I had puchased this F29/AS battery carrier on ebay haveing had many alterations done to it. I know It seems sily to spend much time on an item that can be replaced by a new item but I would like to give it another chance for use if not to far gone.I was hopeing that some one may have a compete origial hanging around for me to get the measurment of the long tube and whether or not they should be a gap one one side now! I have partially straightened it?.A little bit of weld and ill be OK or should I bin it.
.I am now hopeing I can load two photos of the said item any comments welcome.
Restore or not to restore that is the question?

Attachments

• june 09 004.jpg
    june 09 004.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 81
  • june 09 003.jpg
    june 09 003.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 82

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had puchased this F29/AS battery carrier on ebay haveing had many alterations done to it. I know It seems sily to spend much time on an item that can be replaced by a new item but I would like to give it another chance for use if not to far gone.I was hopeing that some one may have a compete origial hanging around for me to get the measurment of the long tube and whether or not they should be a gap one one side now! I have partially straightened it?.A little bit of weld and ill be OK or should I bin it.
.I am now hopeing I can load two photos of the said item any comments welcome.
Restore or not to restore that is the question?
There has to be a gap, to fit over the engine plate. As to the length, it should be just shorter than the distance between the engine plate, and the G50 plate. .050" is enough.

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Battery Carrier

The item does look to be basically correct but that does look like an unfinished hacksaw cut on the thread end. Trevs right in his description. The two thin nuts locked together take up that last very small gap. And whats that bolt doing sticking up through the platform? Good on you for spending a bit of time restoring a part instead of casting it aside.

Phelps.

MartinRestorer

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
weld it, suck it and see

There has to be a gap, to fit over the engine plate. As to the length, it should be just shorter than the distance between the engine plate, and the G50 plate. .050" is enough.
clevtrev
Thanks for the info on the spaceing for the engine plate. That is a relief as I had thought it could have been cut out as in the many previous alterations as pointed out by ogrilp400 the length of tube has been cut, but I don`t know how much, but I can find out when I am ready to fit the engine. That requires a G40 shaft G39as and most gearchange and kickstart parts to close the cases so it could be a while sourceing these parts unless someone out there has some spares in this department they would part with.
Martin