Barn Job

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Rick Schunk and I went to the National Motorcycle Museum at Anamosa, IA yesterday and the last Barn Job Vin dragster was on display. http://www.nationalmcmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/238.jpg * I was surprised to see the ignition. It had one regular coil and a homemade distributor body with external condensers. Now I realize that I didn't see what fed the spark plugs (4?). Maybe Rick took a good photo or two that will give a clue. If Brian Chapman reads this, maybe he can comment on firing heavy nitro loads with a points and coil ignition.

* The fellows in the photo are local Minnesota Vincent enthusiasts.

Last edited:

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Quite an evolution over the years..
barnJob_zps7469d483.jpg

BarnJob6_zps0629382a.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Only occasionally in the early 60's did we get Cycle world in the UK. when I got a copy I used to read it cover to cover I seem to remember a great article on the Barn Job that got me thinking about getting a Vincent
(that and being overtaken when I was on my 7R blasting back from Silverstone by a guy in full trench coat and seeing him change up out of Winslow and disappear)

vibrac

VOC Member
Like most bikes used to push the envelope and 70 odd years young
Gunga Din , the ISDT vincent, Surtees 500 and many others, and why not? great stuff!
its a bit like the grave diggers spade

"had it for 50 years its only had 3 new blades and 4 new handles"

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Never forget watching Mighty Mouse pump out clouds of rear tire smoke as it was revved up , front tire against a trucks bumper . Awesome display of power from one Vincent cylinder , unequaled then by any other single cylinder machine the world over . The sound alone was simply amazing . Sid .