bare alumin(i)um wheel hub

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Quick question: I am putting a front wheel together with a brand new hub. Does anyone coat theirs with clear enamel or something to prevent corrosion and make cleaning of this hard to reach area easier, or is it best to just install it raw?

Ron

A_HRD

VOC Member
I've coated aluminium parts before now for the reasons you suggest, but eventually, when the coating starts to crack or chip, the blotchy corrosion looks awful and you can't get the coating off without a full strip of the assembly…. Older Japanese bikes suffered from this a lot.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you want to polish it before assembly to aid cleaning in the future note that the latest hubs are machined from billet whereas the originals were castings. I have found it difficult to get a good polish on the earlier ones but the newer ones should polish up nicely.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
If you want to polish it before assembly to aid cleaning in the future note that the latest hubs are machined from billet whereas the originals were castings. I have found it difficult to get a good polish on the earlier ones but the newer ones should polish up nicely.

Thanks all, my new hub is one of the castings so I will just leave it alone. Anodizing would be a good option for the parts suppliers in the future and hard coat would be nice for the bearing pockets, since it can add as little as a half thou or less, but better for batch quantities economically. I don't plan to ride much in the winter up here in New England anyway. Interestingly enough, the original hub assembly that came with the B had been painted black in its entirety as an assembly by a previous owner, including the hub, spoke flanges, bolts and nuts, and drums. It actually doesn't look too bad, and I suppose for rusty cad plate flanges is an inexpensive option. The rear is the same way, the paint is in good condition, and it will remain so for now. It would be a shame to paint the shiny new SS spoke flanges I just got for the front.

Ron

clevtrev

VOC Member
Thanks all, my new hub is one of the castings so I will just leave it alone. Anodizing would be a good option for the parts suppliers in the future and hard coat would be nice for the bearing pockets, since it can add as little as a half thou or less, but better for batch quantities economically. I don't plan to ride much in the winter up here in New England anyway. Interestingly enough, the original hub assembly that came with the B had been painted black in its entirety as an assembly by a previous owner, including the hub, spoke flanges, bolts and nuts, and drums. It actually doesn't look too bad, and I suppose for rusty cad plate flanges is an inexpensive option. The rear is the same way, the paint is in good condition, and it will remain so for now. It would be a shame to paint the shiny new SS spoke flanges I just got for the front.

Ron
The only anodising that increases the overall size, is Hard. For castings Chromic anodising is the one to use.
I clear stove lacquered my Comet hubs fifty years ago, they`re still as good today.