Barber Motorsports Park 2015

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Great to hear a twin with TT's fire up on both cylinders nice and clean like that.......fantastic sound............;)

vibrac

VOC Member
Great to hear a twin with TT's fire up on both cylinders nice and clean like that.......fantastic sound............;)
Yes I keep looking at my TT carbs and then at the twin I know dear old Sid had lots to say about sorting a good tickover from a TT and Ron Kemp showed me a trick or two with a file and the back of the slide perhaps I should try it they would look Sooo much better than those old monoblocks.....

davidd

VOC Member
Nine of the ten Brittens were on hand as well as John's widow Kirsteen:

Pat Manning Barber 201562.jpg

One of the bikes was stripped and anyone could examine and heft the bodywork and examine the mechanicals:

Pat Manning Barber 201574.jpg

Pat Manning Barber 201589.jpg

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes I keep looking at my TT carbs and then at the twin I know dear old Sid had lots to say about sorting a good tickover from a TT and Ron Kemp showed me a trick or two with a file and the back of the slide perhaps I should try it they would look Sooo much better than those old monoblocks.....
Tim, Just as a side to your comment re the TT's.....Reg said that he did a similar trick to the GP's on his racer by fitting small threaded machine screws into the top of the slides, and adjusting them up or down, then using a locknut on the screw to stop them moving. Must be a painful exercise setting them up, but it is adjustable and does no real harm I guess. Might be worth a thought, cheers...............Greg.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I have a GP on my Goldstar. To add an idle screw all you have to do is tap a hole in the top of the slide near where the cable goes in as described above. The slide is brass. I used a 10-24 set screw I think. The trick is don't tap it right through. Leave the last few threads so they are only partially tapped. That way the screw will be really tight and will stay in place with no lock nut. To adjust it you do have to take the top of the carburetor off. On the Goldstar that means you have to take the tank off. But once it is adjusted you won't have to fiddle with it much. On the GS what I do is set the idle a bit fast at full advance and when I want it to tick over slow I retard the spark a bit.

It is a modification that takes about 10 minutes to do, there are no external modifications, and the only part altered is the slide. I think it is a lot better idea than filing the slides.