Banjo union pipe for Comet

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dear Simon,
I still don't understand. If A48/1 (3/8 ") is the bore of the A66AS/1 oil feed rubber hose (of course 3/8"), the pump-side union banjo must also be 3/8" and therefore cannot be the A48 which is for the bored rubber hose 5/16 ".
Where is the error ?

delboy

VOC Member
Dear Mic
Dear Simon,
I still don't understand. If A48/1 (3/8 ") is the bore of the A66AS/1 oil feed rubber hose (of course 3/8"), the pump-side union banjo must also be 3/8" and therefore cannot be the A48 which is for the bored rubber hose 5/16 ".
Where is the error ?
Dear Michel,
please read my earlier post.
I believe A48/1 to be an invented number by somebody [not the factory], and it's real pre-war number is A29.
This A29 [A48/1] has a 3/8" OD pipe [NOT 5/16" as with A48]
A29 is used on the feed side of the oil pump.
Regards, Delboy.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Simon,
Where is the error ?

Michel
A48 is the fitting for the 5/16" bore rubber pipe and this same fitting was used on the series B & C etc.

What you call A48/1 is virtually the same shape and size as A48 except the metal tube part is 3/8" outside diameter so it will fit the bore of the larger diameter rubber tube. The part of that fitting which engages with the banjo bolt is the same size on both types as the banjo bolts for both were the same size. Have a look at your oil pump and you should see all four of the oil pipe fitting holes in the pump body are all tapped the same thread size to take the same banjo bolt size.

The part number A48/1 is suspected to have been made up for the VOCS series A spares list as no original Vincent factroy series A parts list existed. If you read the post above by Delboy he suspects the correct part number was A29.

Simon

Michel

VOC Member
Dear Delboy, dear Simon,
And so contrary to what is mentioned inthe Alternative Spare List Serie A, there are three union banjos A48/1 or A29 (3/8 "), one for A58AS oil return hose (3/8") and two A66AS/1 oil feed hose (3/8"). Did I understand correctly and is this correct ?

delboy

VOC Member
Dear Delboy, dear Simon,
And so contrary to what is mentioned inthe Alternative Spare List Serie A, there are three union banjos A48/1 or A29 (3/8 "), one for A58AS oil return hose (3/8") and two A66AS/1 oil feed hose (3/8"). Did I understand correctly and is this correct ?
Dear Michel,
First. DISREGARD what it says in the Alternative "A" spares list.
Yes, it is wrong. It was written in good faith, but is wrong.
I assume we are talking about a 500cc.
Lets start from the oil tank.
The feed banjo at the bottom will be Hot pressed brass A29 with a 3/8 OD pipe.
At the pump, the feed banjo will again again be an A29.
The pump return and the cylinder feed uses Hot pressed brass banjo A48 with a 5/16" OD pipe which is the same as the post-war item.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Delboy.

Michel

VOC Member
Dear Delboy,
So there is an inversion of reference in the Alternative A.
A58AS is the 3/8" oil feed hose with the single A48/1 union banjo (or A29) on the oil pump. A66AS/1 is the 5/16" return hose with two A48 union banjo (plus two A48 for the OP pump cylinder hose 5/16 "too).
Did I finally get it ?
Regard.
Michel.

delboy

VOC Member
Dear Delboy,
So there is an inversion of reference in the Alternative A.
A58AS is the 3/8" oil feed hose with the single A48/1 union banjo (or A29) on the oil pump. A66AS/1 is the 5/16" return hose with two A48 union banjo (plus two A48 for the OP pump cylinder hose 5/16 "too).
Did I finally get it ?
Regard.
Michel.
Dear Michel,
no, I'm afraid not, but nearly there.
On the drawing No16 of the alternative list.
A58AS is the 5/16" ID return pipe, with an A48 at the pump
A66AS/1 is the 3/8" ID pump feed from the oil tank bottom to the pump. It has an A29 on each end. [Note A66AS/1 is drawn the wrong shape, look at an original photo or in "Back to A". If you haven't got one, you really, really should]
And, yes there are two A48 banjos for the cylinder feed.

All I can say is do not take ANYTHING as Gospel in The "A Alternative spares list, it has many errors and is merely a guide
Hope the penny's dropped.
regards, Delboy.

Michel

VOC Member
But on my Comet, the metal pipe welded on the oil tank to which A58AS is connected is 3/8"and not 5/16". So on my bike the two oil hoses (feed and return) are in 3/8" as we can see (with a magnifying glass) on fig.95 page 187 of the Richardson and as I seen on an other Comet in France. Surprising isn't it, and reason for all this confusion !
Some one has an explanation or a hypothesis ?

PS: all the other hoses are well in 5/16".

Last edited: