Banjo union pipe for Comet

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello,
Does anyone know where to buy A48 (5/16") and A48/1 (3/8") banjo union?
Thanks for your advices.
Michel.

Michel

VOC Member
And I wonder how it is with the same pipe (A66AS/1, I think), the two end banjo have differents sizes (5/16" and 3/8") ?

vibrac

VOC Member
Using the search term Banjo the club shop has A48,A61AS,A62AS,A77AS (Comet) I think thats all you need on a standard set up
A66 is associated with pump feed pipes

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
3/8" or 7/16" is one the (many) errors in the parts books.
Series A feed pipe is 3/8" (id hose, od fittings) post war B, C and D feed pipe is 7/16" (id hose, od fittings).
The banjo in the bottom of the A66AS feed pipe is probably a Series A 3/8" banjo soldered in a 7/16" od pipe.

Michel

VOC Member
Hi Vibrac, the club shop sells only 1/4" banjo.
Hi Ian, in the Conway Serie A list (old one from 2006) I read the same error A48 5/16" and A48/1 3/8" !
As pipes are 3/8", the banjos need to be the same, isn't ?

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The 1/4" Banjo refers to the bolt size I think which is 1/4" BSP, not 1/4" diameter, whereas the other measurements are the actual pipe diameter.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I think there is some confusion going on with terminology and with pre war bikes v post war bikes and I think Michel is asking about series A bike and also asking about the Banjo union which is the metal fitting that pushes inside the ends of the rubber pipe. So here goes:

On the rubber return pipe is 5/16" internal diameter and the O/D of the metal pipe part of the banjo union A48 is 5/16" to fit inside the rubber pipe. VOCS do list this as its used on the post war bikes as well but both they and the Vincent spares parts list it as "A48 as Banjo 1/4 BSP" which is a confusing description and I assume is refering to the fact it fits to the engine with a banjo bolt which is 1/4 BSP fitting. In the series A alternative spares list A48 description as "Banjo Union 5/16" bore pipe" which is referring to the rubber pipe bore. It is the same A48 though whatever the differing describing names.

On the supply pipe the rubber pipe internal is 3/8" diameter and so the O/D of the metal pipe part on the banjo union A48/1 is also 3/8" diameter. This banjo union is not used on the series B, C or D due to its side and I don't think VOC Spares list it on their website and I don't know where to find such a fitting. In the series A alternative spares list A48/1 description as "Banjo Union 3/8" bore pipe" which again is referring to the rubber pipe bore.

Both of the above fittings A48 & A48/1 then connect to the oil pump using A22 banjo bolts (not to be confused with banjo union) and these are all 1/4 BSP thread but be aware 1/4 BSP is not 1/4" diameter.

So much confusion with so many different descriptions of parts but which all have the word banjo in them.

Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is an example of the confusion for A48:
VOC Spares & Vincent spares parts list describe it as "1/4 BSP banjo
Series A alternative list describes A48 as "Banjo Union 5/16" bore pipe"

Both of the above are the same part with the same dimensions and fit a 1/4 BSP banjo bolt and also fit a rubber hose pipe with 5/16" internal bore.
A48.jpg

delboy

VOC Member
Here is an example of the confusion for A48:
VOC Spares & Vincent spares parts list describe it as "1/4 BSP banjo
Series A alternative list describes A48 as "Banjo Union 5/16" bore pipe"

Both of the above are the same part with the same dimensions and fit a 1/4 BSP banjo bolt and also fit a rubber hose pipe with 5/16" internal bore.
View attachment 37314
Hi Simon and folks,
well, I think that A48/1 might not exist- as a number!
Rather it should be numbered A29.
Just to be clear, we are talking about the hot stamped brass 1/4 BSP banjo, but one with a 3/8" OD pipe for use on the pump feed of the Series A.
I have seen a works drawing for the post-war pump feed pipe for the 500cc [A66/2AS] and this shows part A29 Banjo "Sweated" into the feed pipe.
I think this is the very same hot stamped brass banjo with the 3/8" pipe, which I think is a "left over" Series A part.
What fun.
regards, Delboy.

Possibly later they made a simpler dedicated turned part to fit the post-war pump feed pipe.

A_HRD

VOC Member
vin998 said:
"Both of the above fittings A48 & A48/1 then connect to the oil pump using A22 banjo bolts (not to be confused with banjo union) and these are all 1/4 BSF thread but be aware 1/4 BSF is not 1/4" diameter".

But of course, BSF (twice) is a typo - the thread is 1/4 BSP. Typically 13.16 mm / 0.518" OD and 19 tpi.

Peter B