Balance Factor

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
So lately I've been restoring Railroad Pocket watches and there are many similarities between woking on these and Vincent's believe it or not.... except for size.... you can't even see some of the tiny watch screws one has to remove.
There is even a balance factor to deal with! Here you adjust the weight screws on the "flywheel" to hold the machine at a loss or gain of 30 seconds a week.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
That's true for sure. One of the first things I learned was NOT to over-oil. More than a pin-point drop in the cleaned jewels that act as the balance weal (flywheel) bearings and the added oil drag wii stop it dead

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
That's true for sure. One of the first things I learned was NOT to over-oil. More than a pin-point drop in the cleaned jewels that act as the balance weal (flywheel) bearings and the added oil drag wii stop it dead

Just like a Vincent that has sumped with oil. The extra drag will make it hard to start.

Now I can do machining of parts on large and standard milling machines and lathes etc, but watching the guy at work doing the micro machining under optics is another skill completely. Hats off to anybody who machine and work on such small parts.

Last edited:

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
You know, all this watch stuff, made me wonder if Smith ever built really accurate speedometers with jewels: they are a clock after all.