Balance Beam

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can someone tell me how many patterns of F55 balance beams were made and if there were different patterns, when were the changes made?

clevtrev

VOC Member
Can someone tell me how many patterns of F55 balance beams were made and if there were different patterns, when were the changes made?

You probably got a slightly different shape every time the pattern wore out, and was replaced.

Albervin

VOC Member
That is what I was asking, indirectly. Michael Breeding is proposing to make some "Series B balance beams" that have curved ends http://www.mikesvincentparts.com/COMING VINCENT PARTS.htm. I can't say I have ever seen them on a B as I have not looked particularly closely at them on other bikes. Bs are quite uncommon here in Australia, especially with Bramptons still fitted. I had to mount my balance beam not in accordance with the drawings (MO30) to clear the spindles so was wondering whether I had an incorrect balance beam.

Dinny

VOC Member
The B's with bramptons do have the BB's with the ends curved. I guess that's why yours is not mounted as per drawings as its the one off girdraulics.

Mark

Len Matthews

VOC Member
One thing to watch out for is that replacement Brampton spindle nuts have larger hexagons than the originals therefore there's a risk of the brake cable adjuster fouling these nuts when applying the front brake.

A_HRD

VOC Member
KTB says that the ends of girdraulic fork BBs can be bent forwards by about 15 degrees to suit Bramptons. I guess they would need a fair amount of heat to bend safely without cracking or breaking...

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
The B's with bramptons do have the BB's with the ends curved. I guess that's why yours is not mounted as per drawings as its the one off girdraulics.

MO30 can also refer to Bramptons...

MO30BRAMPTONSUFM.jpg

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
One thing to watch out for is that replacement Brampton spindle nuts have larger hexagons than the originals therefore there's a risk of the brake cable adjuster fouling these nuts when applying the front brake.

Only had this problem on the nearside, see how I relieved the locknut - an original nut would have been OK
As I have fitted the cable to the 'wrong' end of the balance beam, when applying the brakes the beam moves downwards away from the spindle locknut.
Balancebeam.jpg

Albervin

VOC Member
This is where I became confused (again). The drawing shows the beam in front of the forks but I mounted it in between the tubes. I have now checked the beam on my A and see it all now....
I will now obtain a correct balance beam and tidy up another area on the bike. Are the correct Series B knurled brake adjusters available while I am at it?