baked on oil

Bracker1

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Anyone have a good way to clean oil off the exhaust pipes without scratching the chrome? It has baked on and resists any of the solvents I have on the shelve. My wife suggested oven cleaner, but don't want to experiment. Still trying to find out how the oil covered the front and the rear with such a pretty pattern. Safe riding, Dan

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Visit your motor factor and buy some carbon remover , I use a Loctite product but there are others. Apply that to the carbon and allow it to penetrate for a while. The next step you will find surprising but trust me , it works !! Use wire wool to remove the loosened carbon. Wire wool is softer than chrome so will not mark it. The process of applying the carbon remover and wire wool will need to be repeated as necessary depending on how thick the deposit is.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Have you tried Solvol Autosol and elbow grease?

Hi Dan,

Solvol usually does the job for me, takes a while but you don't risk damaging the chrome that way (too much, based on the idea that anything abrasive will cause it some problems if used often enough, hard enough, long enough)?

You know it is working as the clean cloth gets stained from the oil, and the spots or runs start to get smaller, usually the edges start to reduce in size or the thick raised droplet (if that is what you've got) start to reduce in height at the high point.

You could try it with a plastic non-scratch pan cleaner - I get mine from Tesco (but other brands available!!!!). They do two types so make sure you get the non-scouring one, not the Scotch-Brite range of products.

Using Solvol and a non-scratch (instead of a rag) will, I am sure, do the trick - it'll just take some time and effort.

Best of luck.

Stuart

Anyone have a good way to clean oil off the exhaust pipes without scratching the chrome? It has baked on and resists any of the solvents I have on the shelve. My wife suggested oven cleaner, but don't want to experiment. Still trying to find out how the oil covered the front and the rear with such a pretty pattern. Safe riding, Dan

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Start point - have a look at the oil return pipes, often the front head exhaust valve

Try looking at the oil return pipes, especially front exhaust valve rocker supply as the culprit.

Stuart

Hi Dan,

Solvol usually does the job for me, takes a while but you don't risk damaging the chrome that way (too much, based on the idea that anything abrasive will cause it some problems if used often enough, hard enough, long enough)?

You know it is working as the clean cloth gets stained from the oil, and the spots or runs start to get smaller, usually the edges start to reduce in size or the thick raised droplet (if that is what you've got) start to reduce in height at the high point.

You could try it with a plastic non-scratch pan cleaner - I get mine from Tesco (but other brands available!!!!). They do two types so make sure you get the non-scouring one, not the Scotch-Brite range of products.

Using Solvol and a non-scratch (instead of a rag) will, I am sure, do the trick - it'll just take some time and effort.

Best of luck.

Stuart