vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ah! I though you had found the off the shelf golden fleece
I wonder what that Guzzie was, after all it must be a 30 years old model now

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
I made (with mum on the sewing machine) half a dozen of these using a cover similar to this,
Altering the tank cap location and nipping it in at the seat end of the tank for a better fit.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
My experience with tank bags on a Comet is when securely mounted - the bike is a no-go. Base of the bag seals the fuel cap breather and starves the motor of fuel.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I know the tank cap needs to vent air, but I have ridden with tank bags fitted for literally years, on both bikes I regularly ride, Comet and Rapide, never once have I had an engine cut out due to fuel starvation, I think it would be quite difficult for a tank bag to make an airtight seal.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have done it on a twin, starved for fuel and almost siezed. A little bit of nothing stuck on the cap will just relieve it enough to let the air flow!

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
If I remember correctly you don´t need a cap with a hole in the chromed top at all. The spring loaded steel insert inside that presses on the rubber seal got a hole of course. BUT this insert is movable and does not seal to the chrome top - so any air from within the tank can exit to free air around the insert to escape from under the chrome cover down the tank filler neck. A tank bag cannot block this - except it seals perfectly all around the neck.

Vic

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Vic,

There is also a cork gasket under the filler cap that makes a complete and perfect seal with the filler neck of the fuel tank.

I have twice been stopped on my Comet the side of the road with an inexplicable die of the motor and no amount of coaxing would get a restart UNTIL I removed the tank bag - I could hear the whistle of the air rushing thru the hole in the fuel cap as it broached the unintended vacuum inside the fuel tank. Stuck a bit if roadside timber (small) next to the fuel cap to keep the breather hole clear - fixed. Never used a tank bag since then.

I have had a related experience with a car about 20 years back. Car rolled to a stop, engine dead and would not restart. After about 10 minutes it would restart only to die around 10 minutes later - what a circus performance - run, stop, run, stop, and so on. Turned out to be a baffle in the silencer that had come loose and blocked the outlet of the exhaust. When the motor stopped if I was quick opening the bonnet you could just hear the compresses gas in the exhaust forcing its way past the exhaust gasket manifold to freedom.

Martyn