Misc: Ignition B.T.H Magnetos

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have the BTH on my rapide for 6000km. no Problems.Now i fitted the BTH to my new Project.What I like is that you can fix the BTH with a pin in the early firering Position and the Retard Position is automatically Right.I choosed 34 Degrees btdc.Erik

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I was asking for a friend, A new person to Vincent's,
I am out of touch and prefer a Distributor myself.
Cheers Bill.
Dear Bill,
Not a reflection on you. I just found it amusing that people couldn't understand how something could work without a battery. I guess a younger generation have never had anything without a battery. The way things are going all vehicles will have a big battery and no engine that needs an ignition system.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Ed, I just like to check my memory and the fact that I haven't fitted one myself.
He fitted one against my advise, He already had a distributor, But someone had welded the inside up !!,
And guess what, He is in trouble ! , With the BT-H, Hopefully it's just an easy fix,
I have nothing against the BT-H, Just the cost !.
I just thought for Him it would be best to stick with the Distributor,
But I can only say what I would do.
Which the Wife would say is always wrong :D .
Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have had one on my twin for 15.000 miles, I had one CDI unit go down a couple of years ago, it was replaced and back on the bike within a week, other than that not the slightest issue.
However I must say I have had a refurbished Lucas Magneto on my Brough Superior for the same mileage with NO problems at about half the cost.
I now do my own magneto rebuilds as far as possible only having to outsource the armature rewind and the final remagnetise.

erik

VOC Member
The disadvantage of a traditionel magneto is a weaker spark on one cylinder and this means less power on this cylinder.Erik