B cylinder oil hole vs C cylinder oil hole

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think the cylinder oil feed is required ( even with R :))-with a properly assembled engine whats the down side?
when I reduced our racing comet from 600cc to 500cc (to get more points for a place) I got a good engineer with a big lathe to make a top hat bush and I put a connecting hole in that.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry Greg, I don't like the idea of bits of metal, Stuck in, Things can come unstuck !!. Why not drop the muff down and put the Wrong hole on the other side, Then drill a new hole. Too many people have had piston Nips !!, There are some bad pistons been sold for many years, I still have the old Specialloids in my bikes, Don't like change !!, Cheers Bill.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I think our Timetraveller has it right. While this is entirely anecdotal, it is contemporary to the problem and may be relevant this discussion: In 1999 I interviewed the 93 year old Canadian dealer who first sold my late 1948 B Rapide. I hope to do an article for MPH about this. He sold a total of 8 Rapides in late '48 and '49. He later sent me a letter with more comments. Among them:

"Another complaint was the oiliness. The motors leaked badly. .......I did write to complain to the company and was promptly advised by
return mail that the units I had imported probably had porous cylinders. What a remark to make????? I did not reply, considering the diagnosis
ridiculous"

It is hard to say from a picture only, but looking at the picture at post #21 it looks like the oil gallery/crankcase parting line area is pretty rough and could have caused some leakiness up to the muff joint. It also looks like some oil may have gone up the far head bolt, and possibly caused a weep from the joint

Being a medical device design engineer myself, I know how easy it is to make a mistake in a complex device that warrants what would nowadays be a recall. Just look at what GM is going through right now over something as simple as an ignition key switch. The initial liner hole placement in the ring area may be one of these oversights that even PEI missed, and the company later easily and quietly corrected with a woodruff key cutter. Two piece head bolts were a good idea to isolate frame stresses from the cylinders, but as it turns out they were over engineered, expensive, leaked, and were not necessary. Changing the two piece head bolts to a one piece enabled better sealing, aside from the economics. The restrictor disks were apparently another effort to stop the oiliness and redirect some of the flow to more needed places. If all this is true, these mistakes did not kill anyone, but I know it did kill any more sales after 1949 to this particular dealer. If the whole cylinder oil feed gallery could have been eliminated by something as simple as drilling holes in the liner below the castings, something that was less prone to leakiness and mistakes, that would have been corrected eventually, I suppose. I expect some of the grayer heads in the club could answer the questions Craig asks, since nothing is new in any discussion about any aspect of these machines except the new owners.

Ron

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have always been puzzled by the oil feed to the rear cylinder, surely this gets more oil thrown up it than the front cylinder, alright the liners protrude below the crankcases but this should make no difference.
JAP engines have the rear cylinder opening closed off except for a slot for the rod to come through and an oil feed to the back wall of the FRONT cylinder.
HD engines have no cylinder feeds.
Vincents are higher revving than the previous two so oil should be thrown about more.
Chris.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Looking at the web site Craig tells us about, Is my mind playing up, Or is the bloke telling us to drill holes in the bottom, The same man who can't stop his bike from over oiling, And has since took it apart to sell in bits ? Cheers Bill.

craig

VOC Member
Thank you all for the help. I could not make sense of either article myself. There are more articles to read, but.....not the information I was seeking.
How does a series A Vincent provide oil to the pistons?
Can anyone provide photos of a 1946-1947 B Rapide std, original piston?

craig

VOC Member
Thank you all for the help. I could not make sense of either article myself. There are more articles to read, but.....not the information I was seeking.
How does a series A Vincent provide oil to the pistons?
Can anyone provide photos of a 1946-1947 B Rapide std, original piston?
Actually I didn't understand Roberts article, Robin drawings and explanations seemed like good info.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Trev,

just where in TFS? is the info on extra liner holes?

Martyn
Sorry I have not my copy to hand, nor Technicalities, or Motorcycle Engineering, have had a look in Restoring and Tuning Classic Motorcycles, and it`s not in there, so it is in one of the others.

aldeburgh

Non-VOC Member
Many words , measurements ,angles and pictures.
Getting back to basics , when I was puzzling over where to drill the hole I fitted the piston to the rod with only the oil ring on it , I then smeared grease inside the cylinder bore and fed it over the piston until the oil ring was just into the bottom of it.
Next I turned the crank to BDC while allowing the barrel to drop with it:confused: and finally pushed the barrel onto the crankcase , then lifting the barrel reveals the position of the oil ring marked by the grease:D. I then drilled through 3/16" below this point at an angle and filed a flat on the outside face , I then drilled two extra oil holes on the "upper side" of the liner :eek: to get more "splashed" oil to the lower piston skirt. Belt & Braces as they say around here;)

nkt267

VOC Member
Do you think it is possible that the oil delivery to the rear of the cylinder was put there because the oil scraper is too efficient..After all if the oil ring is efficient why do singles and twins smoke so much when you have bad sumping..And I do understand that oil will find it's way inside the piston and liner from the bigend.. John