B cylinder oil hole vs C cylinder oil hole

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Craig, the end result is to have the oil entering the cylinder bellow the oil control ring/scraper regardless of piston type/make.....You are correct if you say you have found the hole feeding into or above the oil ring.....this is a mistake that I have found on many cylinders from old days. I have even plugged off some of these holes and redrilled new ones lower down the bore. You need to measure very accurately before you start drilling. I put the piston in the bore minus the rings and at bottom dead center, mark the rear of the bore with a fine texter pen or pencil, and measure down from there to just bellow the oil ring. Then transpose the distance from the inside of the liner to the outside. Drilling the hole at a 50 degree angle just makes the outer hole on the outside of the liner slightly higher so as to align with the crankcase gallery. I just use a dremel to cut a groove vertically to achieve the final passage way. It doesn't have to be anything fancy to achieve a good result. If the liner is too loose a fit in the case spigot, some oil loss around this area will happen. I always use some sealant on the base gasket no matter what. If it's an old engine, no matter what it is, you can be sure it will try and leak if you do not do all that is possible to stop it. Good luck........Greg.

craig

VOC Member
Thank you John , Excellent photos....now I get it .
Thank you Greg, I need advice on how to plug my original 1947 B Rapide oil holes....I can move over a few degrees and redrill oil hole and Dremel a groove.
This B is oiling like crazy.
Can I solder up these B oil holes, welding would seem to alter bore, braze?
So it looks like over time (1946-1953) this cylinder oil hole was continuing to move down, even helped further by angling the hole.
My C cylinder oil hole (pictured above, wide groove) is clocked at 12 degrees toward timing from dead center, The B round oil hole is dead center.
Cheers
Craig

craig

VOC Member
Maybe the answer is a blank disc in the timing cover? Yes? No?
20121229_OilHoleTimingCover.jpg

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I was skeptical about this at first, since it seems to go against commonly held wisdom from lots of old time hands and all the respected reference materials, so it would be interesting to know whether this might have caused problems for those who have tried it. I guess I will find out.

Ron

highbury731

VOC Member
Does the modern custom of of liners being a light sliding fit into the crank-case affect the flow of oil to the liner oil feed hole? Might it leak away?

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I'm not sure that blanking off the oil feed to the cylinder bore is a good thing. My outfits' engine nipped up when the vertical gallery in the timing cover got blocked (how I don't know) but after clearing the obstruction there was no more trouble.

vibrac

VOC Member
So long as the hole is below the rings it wont hurt to put some lube in there. first thing I throw away are the restrictor discs-no thats not true, they are the second think-first thing are the joggle wires.
You must remember 'back then' changing the oil was only done as and when nowadays every one seems to change it once a year (so thats 1000 miles for the average Vincent owner;)) so the only thing that gets blocked with muck nowadays are the petrol pipes.

clevtrev

VOC Member
The first thing to check is the contact area of the liner to case. That will give you the maximum distance down the slot needs to be. Could be your oil ring might be below this figure, then you`re stuffed, so the thing to do then is, as outlined in tuning for speed, put some holes in the liner in the crankcase area, so that some oil can get to the piston from there.