B/C Standard Dualseat

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Club seats

I bought a new standard seat from VOC. It is much more comfortable than the original (the front lugs of which had twisted forwards, one eventually fracturing), which was still much better than most other seats I've put my bum on. I also think the new one looks a lot better with a slightly (but not excessively) "grainy" cover. Minimises perspiration over those long, hot, summer days. Or day.

Tom

If you are prepared to consider a longer seat then Glyn and Marianne Baxter were very impressed with their new purchase of one of these from the Club Shop. They told me that not only was there much more space but that it was a much softer foam and was the most comfortable seat they had used.

A_HRD

VOC Member
More About Seats - and ebay

Well, I still haven't taken the plunge and bought a seat; no one seat available seems to have ALL the right attributes! So "build your own" becomes the only real alternative. However, there is a GENUINE Vincent seat on ebay at the moment - see what you think at #300391255440. I wrote and told him its not a genuine Vincent seat. But he is adamant it is because, he says, it came off a Vincent. Series E perhaps?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Albervin

VOC Member
"Genuine Vincent"

Well, I still haven't taken the plunge and bought a seat; no one seat available seems to have ALL the right attributes! So "build your own" becomes the only real alternative. However, there is a GENUINE Vincent seat on ebay at the moment - see what you think at #300391255440. I wrote and told him its not a genuine Vincent seat. But he is adamant it is because, he says, it came off a Vincent. Series E perhaps?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
:confused:No mention on the page about Vincent, maybe he was told more than once. I have just been "stung" by someone advertising a Bluemels tyre pump suitable for a Vincent. After paying over £60 plus postage to Australia it turns out to be all plastic.
As only pre war Vincents used Bluemels pumps this is obviously a deception but the seller doesn't think so. It is jamestennant63 & he advertises Dunlop & Apex pumps suitable for Vincents as well. If we all tell him he is mistaken it may have an effect.
There is also someone trying to flog a pump off as Vincent; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/APEX-OLD-M-C-...cycle_Parts?hash=item2a04616f53#ht_500wt_1182
why don't we all tell him he is wrong? Remember there are people out there who own Vincents & are not in the club. That is no reason why we can't use our knowledge to reduce fraud, deception, greed & stupidity....
My seat on the B Rapide has "Feridax" screen printed or painted in gold. It is quite textured & has only 5 panels (back, front, top, 2 sides) but looks tight & good.. There is some interesting stitching of a rib around the rear curve above the mudguard. Is it original? It is at least 42 years old... & is fastened with tacks. Unless I pull a tack out I have no idea what type as they are all in place very nicely thank you.

A_HRD

VOC Member
More on Dual-Seats

Ah, the power of the forum! The "Genuine Vincent Shadow/Rapide/Comet Dualseat" has been removed from ebay and is now listed as a "British Bike Seat" under # 300391255440. Fair dues to the guy, he has done the decent thing in the end - despite telling me it came off a Vincent, therefore it must be "Original"! :rolleyes: I guess he got a few more complaints, thanks guys. :D

I agree entirely with Albervin, it is encumbent on us to expose items that are fraudulent or simply mis-informed. I'll continue to do my bit...

OK, so what sort of tacks were used originally to secure seat-covers to the base? Wouldn't it be nice to lobby the current manufacturers of replica seats to use the correct thing.... Of course staples take seconds to fit with automated staple guns - but that's not the point here.

Peter B
Bristol, UK

Albervin

VOC Member
Genuine & Original

S/S staples are the pits. I have just had a couple of hundred removed from the door trim of a 1950s Riley. The good thing about tacks & panel pins is you can ease them out & back in again. Not so with staples. Easy for the restorer/manufacturer but a pain
in the ar*e for everyone else... Now, those genuine Vincent headlights......................:p

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
VMCC advertise replica motorcycle pumps. I took no great notice since i didn't want one, but expect that at least they'll be what they are advertised to be.
(I carry a double action mountain bike pump, c/w pressure gauge, in a pannier. It can be switched between high volume low pressure and the reverse. Clever stuff. It cost £9 from Sainsburys...)

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
hi pete,
if you are going down the make it your self avenue, have aword with these peaple Veodki ltd unit 5 ebleytrading estate, ebly stroud phone number01453 766137 you provide the the base and metal work, they will do the rest. Roger and I have used many times now and have been pleased with their work and priceing ,allso their quick turn round time, allways less than a week.
cheers norm.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Thanks Stumpy. I went in there years ago for a look around and to see if they were interested in making a few seat foams. They weren't - the curvy nature of the Vincent Dual-Seat put them off. But I'll try again when I'm up that way - soon - and see if they've had a change of heart...

Peter B